FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080i EX1 Footage Greenscreen -best approach

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Eigen
1080i EX1 Footage Greenscreen -best approach
on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:31:47 pm

So I've got a bunch (3 cameras over 1 hour of footage each) of 1080i EX1 Footage shot on green screen that needs to be composited.

Any suggestions for the best workflow?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 1080i EX1 Footage Greenscreen -best approach
on Apr 27, 2010 at 9:21:30 pm

First would have been not to record as XDCAM. GOP formats are more difficult to work with. Recording to a KiPro as ProRes 422, or to a computer with a capture card to ProRes would have been best.

But, that is the past. To key you need to use Motion and Primatte, or After Effects and Keylight or Primatte. Software meant to do good keying. FCP 7 has Primatte RT, and you can try that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ron Eigen
on Apr 27, 2010 at 9:36:38 pm

Primatte is getting ok results and takes a while to render in FCP.

Should we transcode the footage to anytthing first? Eg: prores? And perhaps deinterlace? Or is that not necessary?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 27, 2010 at 9:39:08 pm

Transcoding might help speed up the renders, as GOP formats are processor intensive. But in terms of quality of footage, the damage has already been done. You recorded as 4:2:0 GOP...going to 4:2:2 now won't make that missing information return. But it might speed up render times.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:16:02 pm

I have to agree with Shane, if you have any input regarding the shooting, you'll want to suggest using a better color space than 4:2:0. I'm currently working on a show being shot on the EX3, and all footage is transcoded to Pro Res 422. I'm using keylight and after effects for all the chroma keying but it's still challenging. It works better than Final Cut's built in chroma keyer. Ahron Rabinowitz's tutorial on "super tight garbage mattes" will help you, but my best advice would be to do your keying in After Effects or another good compositing application.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:24:08 pm

Not shooting interlace is very helpful as well

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Ron Eigen
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:24:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll try out keying in After Effects, although that might be a major pain with this project since it's an hour long program.

What about the interlacing question? Is it better to try to make the footage progressive? or is it not worth the step?

Return to posts index

Joey Goodsell
on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:53:56 am

Although maybe comparing apples to oranges, we shoot green screen with the Panansonic 150 in 1080i and use DV Matte Blast in FCP and Motion. Although intended for DV and HDV footage in does an incredible job for the $99 price tag.

Return to posts index

Ron Eigen
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:21:02 am

Wow, DVMatte Blast does a better job than some of the fancier plugs. Thanks for the recommendation. Getting decent results in FCP with dvmatte blast combined with a few other plugs... in the chain are:

-Denoiser from Red Giant's Key Correct Pro
-dvmatte blast
-Nattress Film Effects Matte Choker
-Color Corrector

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]