Robert Willgoos
Trouble digitizing HDV footage from MiniDV tape into FCP
on Apr 27, 2010 at 4:04:46 pm

Very curious situation. Here is what I'm working with:

FCP 7.01
Sony HDV deck, HVR-M15U
Panasonic Mini DV tape, DVM63
MacBook Pro, Mac OS 10.5.8

The footage seems to be shot in 720p/30 according to the tape deck reading. I was expecting 1080i, but that is another story.

The time code appears in the log and capture window. I can control the deck. An external monitor confirms picture and sound levels on the tape. However, I only have a black screen...no video or audio...regardless of the capture settings I have tried.

We have used 3 different machines in our office, cables, settings, decks. All with the same result.

Normally, this would be a simple case of using the wrong capture settings...and maybe it still is...but I can't seem to capture anything. I even tried imovie and it doesn't see a picture either.

Help!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Trouble digitizing HDV footage from MiniDV tape into FCP
on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:51:07 pm

Hi,
Without seeing whats going on in person, this is just a guess.

Could the footage be HDV1 from a JVC or a Panasonic camera? Since Sony is HDV2, this might be why you can't transfer from your deck.
I've got a JVC deck and have run into similar problem with Sony footage in it.
If this is whats going on, changing your FCP capture settings won't help, you will need either the right deck or camera.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Robert Willgoos
Re: Trouble digitizing HDV footage from MiniDV tape into FCP
on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:06:02 pm

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the response. Yes...you have it right. I contacted the production company hired for the shoot and the shooter used a JVC camera.

They are taking the tape back...will digitize using the camera as a source deck and send me the digital files.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]