Exporting EDL with nested sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pradip Patil
Exporting EDL with nested sequence
on Apr 26, 2010 at 6:58:33 pm

Here is a quick look at the project.

1.Captured DVCPRO HD.
2.Audio synced for each tape on a separate timeline.
3.Made subclips for each shot and arranged in separate Bins for each scene (the Timecode of the sequence was matched to that of the shot)
4.Then actual editing done by loading the subclips(timelines) into viewer and insert/owerwrite.

Now we have to take the EDL for online work. The final timeline has each shot as a nested sequence. What do I need to get the accurate EDL?
Will the simple Export> EDL work or will there be some problems?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Exporting EDL with nested sequence
on Apr 26, 2010 at 8:09:11 pm

[Pradip Patil] "The final timeline has each shot as a nested sequence. What do I need to get the accurate EDL? "

Don't have nests in the timeline. There is no way for an EDL to read inside the nest. So you need to undo the nest and have all the clips there on the timeline, if you want the EDL to reference the clips.

[Pradip Patil] "Will the simple Export> EDL work or will there be some problems?"

No, it won't. It won't read inside the nest.

4. DON'T EDIT THIS WAY! Map OVERWRITE WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT and CUT IN WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT if you edit from sequences in the Viewer. I do the sequence thing to, but to avoid nesting, you need to use OVERWRITE and CUT with sequence content.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 26, 2010 at 8:30:50 pm

Basically, if you couldn't do it in 1985 in a linear tape-based edit bay (think CMX, GVG, Sony 9000....not Avid, FCP etc ), it really can't be reflected in an EDL. That's what EDLs were invented for and they have not changed since.

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:27:57 am

Shane, where is the option to insert/overwrite with the sequence content?

And the final timeline is around 80 mins with all the shots as nests. Is there any quick way to replace these nests with acutal shots? Or is it the manual way again?

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:50:21 pm

Ok.. I tried doing what you advised. I inserted the sequence content which put the actual tape clip on the timeline.
But when I tried to export the EDL, I got the error saying that EDL won't work because files associated with clips in the timeline don't have timecode track and reel name.

I checked the properties of the captured file. It has no reel naming and the burnt in timecode on video doesn't match to that of the files timecode. for instance, the burn-in counter increments for each tape 00:XX:XX:XX , 01:XX:XX:XX ..... 15:XX:XX:XX but the timecode shown in FCP begins with 00 for each tape.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:08:10 pm

EDIT WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT - Either map it to the keyboard to the F9, F10 positions (Look in the Custom Keyboard area, and do a search for SEQUENCE CONTENT...they'll show up). Or you hold down the CMD key when you press F9 or F10. This only works as a keyboard command, you can't hold CMD and then click on the CANVAS buttons, or drag the footage.

Your footage has no REEL number? yeah, gonna need that if you want an EDL. That's kinda the point of the EDL, tracking clips by reel number and timecode. If those are missing, then it won't work.

As for the timecode mismatch...when you load the clip into the viewer (F to match frame), does it have the correct timecode, but on the timeline it doesn't?

Shane

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:27:26 pm

All the tapes that have been captured have a timecode burn in on the video. But the source timecode of each tape starts with 00:00:00:00.

If the EDL is supposed to work then shouldn't the Burn in TC match the source TC?

Each tape was captured as one single file. Then the audio was synced by putting it on a timeline and this timeline's timecode was modified to match the burn-in TC. Then subclips were made from synced timeline and then editing was done. Hence all the nests in the final timeline.

But since nests won't help for EDL, I guess we have to replace the nested shots with clips affiliated to actual captured file. Right?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:36:13 pm

[Pradip Patil] "All the tapes that have been captured have a timecode burn in on the video. But the source timecode of each tape starts with 00:00:00:00"

OK...but unless you assign a REEL number to that, FCP doens't see it, and it won't put it on the EDL. Same for the TC burn. That is VISUAL only...FCP doesn't see that number and automatically assign it to the footage. If you want the timecode on the clip to match what you have in the window, you need to manually adjust that on the clip.

YOu have to park the playhead on the clip, note the TC number, then go MODIFY>TIMECODE and type that number in the TC field. Then FCP will adjust the timecode of the clip to match the window burn. Unless you do that, the EDL will not see the right timecode. This is something you do before you start editing. We did this with the 80 reels of stock footage we had for one show. Modified all the time codes, and reel numbers. Then our EDLs we used to buy the stock footage reflected the correct numbers. You can TRY to do it now, and see if the clips update.

[Pradip Patil] "But since nests won't help for EDL, I guess we have to replace the nested shots with clips affiliated to actual captured file. Right? "

Yup. And you need to add reel numbers and correct timecode.

Shane

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:45:20 pm

Thanks Shane. I will try and see if it works.
And since we are discussing this. What should have been the ideal work-flow for this kind of thing?
Where did we go wrong?
Is Creating subclips from the sequence a problem too?
Is there any way to sync the audio on the timeline but create the subclips not as nested sequences but as clips affiliated to the master clip.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:58:49 pm

[Pradip Patil] "What should have been the ideal work-flow for this kind of thing?"

Import or capture the footage. Give the clips and tapes unique REEL names, so that you know what clips came from what tapes.

MODIFIED the timecode to match the window burn.

Edit.

Make EDL of footage you need to order.

Recapture that footage. HOPE that the master tapes they send contain the SAME TIMECODE as the window burn. This should be the way they work, but lately I have gotten the footage on single tapes with new timecode and have had to eye match it. Which sucks.

[Pradip Patil] "Where did we go wrong? "

You didn't do what I listed above. And you nested. NEVER nest if you need that footage to be reflected in an EDL. Nesting should not be used in the offline/online workflow...ever. Map EDIT WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT to your F keys.

[Pradip Patil] "Is Creating subclips from the sequence a problem too"

Nope...sequence subclips contain the full clips. This is fine.

[Pradip Patil] "Is there any way to sync the audio on the timeline but create the subclips not as nested sequences but as clips affiliated to the master clip."

No. If you want to sync footage and have them appear as CLIPS, you have to either use the MERGE CLIP command (meant to be used when audio and video are separate elements, like in feature film), or you GROUP CLIPS, which makes a multi-clip. but only of separate clips. If you have a large string of clips, then you have to use a sequence, but then...AGAIN...map EDIT WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT to the F-keys so you don't get nests.

Shane

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:20:04 am

Another workflow that I\'ve found fast is using markers. Load a source clip in the viewer, the insert a marker at the start of each take. When you\'re finished marking the whole clip, navigate to the browser and twirl down the arrow next to the clip\'s name, exposing all the markers you\'ve just created. Select them all, then select the \" make subclip\" command. You will now have subclips for the range of frames between each marker. Now throw them on a timeline, sync the audio and link the audio to picture for each take, using command-L.
Now drag all the clips in a scene bin and rename as needed.
You only need to set the timecode and reel name on the original QuickTime file, since that info lives in the file itself, not in the fcp project.
This is just one way I\'ve done it when capturing tapes in one go. My preference is to have separate files on disk for each take (easier to do if you\'re getting a telecine log file, for example).
Hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on May 3, 2010 at 1:07:59 pm

Can I use media manager to recapture this final timeline that has nested sequence in it?
Do EDL and media manager function the same way?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]