FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hi8 to DV - FCP Project settings - Sync issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Scott
Hi8 to DV - FCP Project settings - Sync issues
on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:08:06 pm

I recently had my family's Hi8 home movies transferred to quicktime movie files. They were transferred by a service who used the Canopus 300 device. The main reason for transferring the movies was so that I could use them to make fun little videos in Final Cut.

When played in Quicktime player, the files are fine - audio and video is in sync.
When brought into FCP, using DV NTSC 48kHz settings, the audio and video are out of sync. I have been playing with settings ad nauseum to try to figure out what the best way to edit with these files is.

When I first noticed the problem, it happened like this: I was watching and marking clips in the Viewer. I set an in and out point, then dragged the clip to the Sequence. Once in the sequence, the audio and video was all out of whack. When I tried to export a clip from the sequence - using video as my guide - it turned out that FCP was exporting based on the audio that was playing in the sequence. In other words, to get the video that you want, you must find the audio that accompanies that video and use that as your guide in the sequence - not exactly ideal for editing.

I started playing with settings - audio sample rate, frame size, etc. When I changed the sequence settings frame size from 720x480 to 640x480, I then went back to the viewer and dragged down my clip - Final Cut asked me if I wanted to change sequence settings to match clip settings and I said no. Strangely, now audio and video were in sync in the Sequence -- but out of sync in the viewer!!

I am really confused and unsure of what is wrong. I want to edit with these files but am really at an impasse. I also tried exporting new QT files from Quicktime - no luck. I don't want to have to buy the Canopus myself, as I paid a lot of money to get the tapes transferred in the first place. Does anyone have any insight into what my FCP settings should be?? Please somebody help!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Hi8 to DV - FCP Project settings - Sync issues
on Apr 27, 2010 at 12:31:08 pm

They need to match the source material's properties. Select one of the clips they've sent and post the exact settings for audio and video frame rates, sizes etc...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Andrea Scott
on Apr 29, 2010 at 12:22:08 am

These are the settings, as seen in the Inspector window in QT:

Format: 16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo, 48.000 kHz; DV, 720 x 480 (640 x 480), Millions
FPS: 29.97
Playing FPS: (30 when playing)
Data rate: 30.31 mbits/s
Normal Size: 720 x 480 pixels
Current Size 720 x 480 pixels (actual)

When I called the guy from the service who transferred the original Hi8 to the DV QT files, he was asking me about my settings and said they should be 640 x 480. I was surprised by this, but said okay - then when into Final Cut and set my sequence settings for 640 x 480. After I did this, I dragged the clip from the Viewer and declined to change sequence settings to match clip settings. I had to RENDER (it was red) but this is the ONLY time audio and video have been IN SYNC for me in the timeline. However, as I mentioned earlier, whereas audio and video used to be in sync in the viewer (prior to this change in settings), now they are out of sync in viewer. Very frustrating.

Any thoughts??

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2010 at 12:43:53 am

[Andrea Scott] "y from the service who transferred the original Hi8 to the DV QT files, he was asking me about my settings and said they should be 640 x 480. I was surprised by this"

As you should have been. The guy at the transfer place as wrong. DV is 720x480, just as the inspector suggests.

So, open a new sequence, drop a clip on the timeline and do allow FCP to set the sequence to match the media. Edit away...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Andrea Scott
on Apr 29, 2010 at 12:55:42 am

Ach, even when settings are compatible, it's still out of sync in both viewer and timeline. It's just bizarre. And it's impossible to edit b/c when exported, it's not the video that you think it's going to be - it is matching the previously out of sync audio.

I've been running some tests with different sequence settings - when my sequence is 720x480 (no message asking me to change settings to match), the media is out of sync when played in timeline and viewer. I picked a spot with good dialogue and exported based on audio - when imported into FCP, this new clip plays fine! In both viewer and sequence. Currently, I am trying a new work-around: drag entire source clip onto timeline, export QT movie. I am crossing my fingers that this will solve the problem (even if it does mean I have to export 26+ tapes at 2 hours each). I'll update when I have my answer...

Return to posts index

Andrea Scott
on Apr 29, 2010 at 1:19:36 am

Yes - It worked! Exporting the whole clip from the sequence in FCP to a new QT file... only thing I have found to fix this problem! Now I can finally get to work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]