FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is firewire 800 and medium hardware good enough for this ??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jakob Mortensen
Is firewire 800 and medium hardware good enough for this ??
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:16:02 pm

Hey

In my company we are upgrading some IT. Now there is not a lot of money but I am thinking about upgrading my macbook which is 2 years old.

Now i use that one for FCP, I know its not ideal but the projects we are working on are short 10-15 min educational movies until now in HDV so that was ok.

BUT now the world is moving into AVCHD we have a consumer Canon Legria and i capture in Prores422 since i dont have the latest FCP. That is much heavier on the data transfer and I am trying to identify the weakest link in my setup to make a wise investment.

I would like to be able to do a multicam edit normally 2-3 tracs which would then propably be prores422. I was hoping that the new 15 inch macbook pro had express card port BUT it doesnt. My aim was a Caldigit external raid disk, connected with esata for speed.

Now I am thinking if firewire 800 is enough, my macbook has only firewire400 and it chokes on multicam edit and external firewire disk.

What do you think, would a much faster new I5 cpu, 8 gb memory, and firewire 800 to external disk cut it for such work ?

Or is it just plain stupid to use money on such a solution ??

BEst wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Is firewire 800 and medium hardware good enough for this ??
on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:15:14 pm

[Jakob Mortensen] "My aim was a Caldigit external raid disk, connected with esata for speed."

The 17" MBP is the only current Apple laptop with an express card slot that will work with the CalDigit eSATA RAIDs. You'll have to go with a firewire 800 solution for all of the smaller MBPs. Check out the CalDigit VR, which is a two drive firewire 800 drive with hardware RAID.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jakob Mortensen
on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:58:34 pm

Hi

Thanks for that info. I will have a look at that for sure.

Do you have any idea if working with prores422, and maybe 2-3 tracks in multicam edit would work with a new i5 macbook pro and such a caldigit VR firewire 800 setup ?

Kind regards

Jakob

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 26, 2010 at 10:16:17 pm

With a raided firewire 800 setup three layer multiclip is good without doubt. Not sure how many layers/trks with a single drive.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jakob Mortensen
on Apr 26, 2010 at 10:24:25 pm

Hey

Very good info for me. Then my conclusion is that the 15 inch macbook pro will be enough for me, combined with that Caldigit disk and firewire 800.

Very good news.

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:22:20 am

[Jakob Mortensen] "combined with that Caldigit disk and firewire 800. "
NO.
You can not use the CalDigit with the 15".
Where you gonna connect it?
Read the David posts: No Express slot.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:29:03 am

I think Jacob means he's going to go with the CalDigit VR Rafael, which is a firewire 800 2-drive hardware RAID enclosure.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jakob Mortensen
on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:28:05 am

Precisely. The caldigit VR looks absolutely ideal for me. It even can go with esata if i get that option later.

Sorry but if you have time for an extra question, do I understand it correctly that i can just throw in a set of identical disks in the vr and when they are filled, i just take them out, and replace them ? If I store that identical set then i have the data i duplicate right ?

Can i then mount just one disk later and browse it by just mounting it in a seperate small disk dock ?

I plan on use raid1.

If this works it would be a great safety system for me.

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]