FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Policy on new Macbook Pros hurting FCS Users

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karim Daire
Apple Policy on new Macbook Pros hurting FCS Users
on Apr 25, 2010 at 5:26:20 am

Hi,

I have been waiting to buy a new Macbook pro now since last year but it just keeps getting worse... no Firewire 400, just one Firewire 800 Port and now even no express card slots under 17inch Macbooks. All my Macbook Batteries were blown out after 1 - 1 1/2 years completely and now you can't even exchange batteries? And who needs a SD Card slot anyways if you can use USB or the Express Slot?

I especially wonder why they do that after Final Cut has penetreated the market and now they obviously don't care about pro users.
Are you all buying 17 inch macbooks now? This is insane, i need a portable handy laptop since I use external monitors anyway.

What do companies like Matrox say whose hardware is useless below 17inch now and why should I pay 3000 Euro for a MACbook+FCStudio if I can get a windows machine with Adobe Production Suite and with Esata, Bluray Drive, and dozens of features apple drops or doesn't implement?

I am really confused and disappointed by the Apple strategy,

Karim

-Karim-

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Apple Policy on new Macbook Pros hurting FCS Users
on Apr 25, 2010 at 6:40:03 am

[Karim Daire] "Apple Policy on new Macbook Pros hurting FCS Users"

First of it not a policy it hardware

Second its NOT new these are the second and in some cases third revisions of the MBP that have NOT have the the things you talk about.

[Karim Daire] "no Firewire 400, just one Firewire 800 Port"

Who cares about FW400 FW800 is 2 times as fast as 400

[Karim Daire] "and now even no express card slots under 17inch Macbooks"

this is the second revision of the machines that has not had express slot on the 15 NOT new

[Karim Daire] "All my Macbook Batteries were blown out after 1 - 1 1/2 years completely and now you can't even exchange batteries?"

Thats because the old computers used old battery technology. Those old batteries were built to last only 300 cycles, the new ones are built to last 1000 cycles. Thats more then 3 times the overall life of the battery, not to mention how long they last on each charge. And the batteries can be changed, it is done through the genius bar at apple stores. The new batteries are WAY better, so your argument on them is null and void.

[Karim Daire] "And who needs a SD Card slot anyways if you can use USB or the Express Slot? "

Way more customers care about an SD slot then those that care about an express slot. 90% of people that have an express slot on their computer when asked what it is will not know.

[Karim Daire] "Are you all buying 17 inch macbooks now?"

According to my friend who sells at an Apple Store most people that do heavy video work and want portability were already getting the 17 anyway.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 25, 2010 at 7:38:45 am

Except for a few limited circumstances, a laptop is a poor choice for an editing workstation. So it only makes sense that Apple doesn't optimize them for that use.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 25, 2010 at 1:00:17 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "Except for a few limited circumstances, a laptop is a poor choice for an editing workstation. "
When you have to edit in the field is the only solution.
Without a laptop I simply couldn't work, and as my self there are thousands of guys all around the world.
I understand that Apple prefers selling 17" than 15 or smaller, but I agree very much with Karim about that this policy hurts FC users. Apple is simply saying "take it or go somewhere else".
To simplify the hardware is very good, to give no options, no that much.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 25, 2010 at 7:20:30 pm

"When you have to edit in the field is the only solution. "

Well, that is simply not the case. A laptop is not the only solution, in the field. It's your solution in the field.
I have worked on plenty of remotes that had full editing suites, both linear and NLE in the truck. Sure I've seen laptops on news shoots where there was a MBP in the ENG truck. It was there to cut simple packages in the field, and yes people bring them to do rough cuts on the set. But I also know people that have full desktop systems in Pelican cases and they set them up on the road.

So, if you had a choice of two edit bays. One with a MBP and a pair of headphones. And the other had a full blown desktop system with two large monitors, near field audio monitors, RAID, etc. Would you really choose the laptop bay over the desktop? To me there is a difference between 'do-able' and preferable.

Ok, your in the field, and your traveling so light that all you can bring is a laptop, and there is no AC power. Sure it happens, but how many FCP users find themselves in this situation on a regular basis? And then we can throw in guys that have a desktop, but also use a MBP on location, and then add those that are on such a tight budget, the laptop is all they can afford. Add them all up, and that sounds like the minority in both the FCP users, and in the MBP users. This is probably why Apple isn't catering to this group. The marketing guys figured it didn't represent the majority of MBP buyers, or what they are using them for.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Gary Askham
on Apr 25, 2010 at 8:52:59 am

Although I agree that it would be nice for Apple to make a 12" laptop which has Firewire 400, 800, Express Card slot, PCMCIA Slot, CF card reader, USB3, eSATA, SCSI, user replaceable batteries and a Blu-Ray burner you have to understand there are limitations to what a company like Apple can do.

Their whole approach to making hardware is down to simplicity. There is a reason why there are only a limited number of configurations for their computers. It is so that they can keep it locked down and under control. Not like the Microsoft/Windows approach which is the opposite - wild and chaotic. Sure if you want you could probably find a PC computer which does everything you could possibly want - but who knows if the different components are going to work together. Apple know that the hardware they use works.

I think Apple understand that most "professionals" don't use a laptop as their primary machine. They use Mac Pro's. Those that do can use a 17".

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 25, 2010 at 2:26:29 pm

[Karim Daire] "Are you all buying 17 inch macbooks now? This is insane, i need a portable handy laptop since I use external monitors anyway."

Every editor I know that uses a MacBook Pro professionally is only using the 17" model. This is because of the real estate of the screen and they are generally the models with the fastest CPUs.

What's so insane about wanting the fastest and best performance for your clients in the field? If you're being paid to do a professional job in the field then your rate should cover the extra cost to purchase the machine. It might take you a few more jobs, but you're still going to be able to pay for the machine.

The MacBook Pro is not designed for Final Cut Pro Users. It's designed to fulfill a variety of needs for a variety of users. Any of the MacBook Pros do work with FCP, but if you really want to use it well in the field, then the 17" model is the one you want.

[Karim Daire] "What do companies like Matrox say whose hardware is useless below 17inch now and why should I pay 3000 Euro for a MACbook+FCStudio if I can get a windows machine with Adobe Production Suite and with Esata, Bluray Drive, and dozens of features apple drops or doesn't implement?"

I don't know, why should you? CS5 is certainly an option and if you want to go that route, I would suggest you do. If Apple no longer meets your needs, then move on. I did that 9 years ago with Media 100 to switch to Final Cut Pro and the moment Studio no longer meets my needs, I will move on to something else. CS5 is definitely a viable option right now, though if I do make the switch, I'm staying on Mac hardware.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Apr 25, 2010 at 3:41:00 pm

With all of this being said in this entire thread, I am an SxS XDCam user and in the field I use my 15" laptop mostly for footage ingestion, rarely for editing. None of the changes really bother me except the potential of reduced ingestion speed having to use an external device. So what are the alternatives behind this kind of workflow?

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 25, 2010 at 4:18:36 pm

[walter biscardi] "Every editor I know that uses a MacBook Pro professionally is only using the 17" model. "

Well, you know ONE editor who uses the 15". Me. I have the generation BEFORE the SD card implimentation. I too find it stupid. They need to offer a 15" with SD card, and one for the Express34. 17" is too big for many things. And I have relied on my MBP for remote editing and capturing on many occasions. I'll probably use it until it dies. The 17" is too expensive.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Craven
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:16:03 pm

[Shane Ross] "I have the generation BEFORE the SD card implimentation. I too find it stupid. They need to offer a 15" with SD card, and one for the Express34."

I also use the same model as Shane and wouldn't give it up for the new models. Another thing I don't understand is why Apple didn't add USB 3.0 support either. At least I can add it to my 15" because it still has a card slot!

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Apr 25, 2010 at 3:40:53 pm

Firewire 400 devices can be plugged into the FW800 jack on the newer MacBook Pro notebooks, you just need a small adapter that costs a few dollars.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 25, 2010 at 5:25:21 pm

Also if I saw it correctly the 15 inch comes with 3 gigahertz processors but the 17" has only one option. Hard drive and video card options and Max RAM are the same between 15 and 17 so in fact the 15" can have an edge with processing.

I think it's nuts they don't offer the Express card on the 15" model.

I would have to buy a new bag for the 17".

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Apr 25, 2010 at 5:29:24 pm

Yes they should change it so you don't have to buy a new bag.

Return to posts index

Brad Kopp
on Apr 25, 2010 at 7:24:04 pm

but the 17" won't fit in the saddlebag on my motorcycle.

Moto Guzzi rider
dog lover w/wife, Ex & 3 kids

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Apr 25, 2010 at 7:29:03 pm

[Brad Kopp] "but the 17" won't fit in the saddlebag on my motorcycle. "

Umm yea... thats just asking for early hard drive failure.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Clauson
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:09:24 pm

My first editing computer was the black PowerBook G3 when Final Cut was 1.0 on OS 9 and it helped me pay my way through college when I bought it back in '98 when I was in HS. Since then I have always had a preference for portability but in the last year I have finally started to really edit in earnest and I find myself more and more wishing I had a tower since I am stuck on my MacBookPro and iMac.

To the original poster's point, Apple's portable line just doesn't seem like it is meant for hard core editing. Using Motion on a battery on a 17"? Man that drains a battery faster than a parched man finding a glass of water.

I am flying to NJ next week to finally meet my biggest client face to face and work with their lighting and camera crew to help speed up production and what not and I wish I could bring a tower with me to do things a lot faster.

Anyway, that is just my 2 cents. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]