FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick vintage video effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Poole
Quick vintage video effects
on Apr 24, 2010 at 2:52:23 pm

Hi,

I've been reading these forums for nearly 5 years now but this is my first post. I'm not sure I've put it in the right section.

Basically I'm looking for a way to apply quick and easy effects to simulate video in the 90s, video in the 80s, bad film, home video, vintage TV etc etc

Now I know of methods to do this manually (using colour correction, bad TV, bad film etc) but I really am hoping theres a really easy automated way of doing it. I don't care how unrefined the final look is.

I don't mind it being in Motion or Final Cut or just a separate piece of software (I also have after Effects but would prefer it kept in FCP)

I used to use Ross Synergy vision mixers and there was software for them which would affect the video stream in real time and you could chose how much effect to lay on. These effects were like "Super 8mm, 80s home video, 70s studio video, 90s video" etc. I'd love some quick and easy full on packages/plugins that do all the work for me like that used to.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Quick vintage video effects
on Apr 24, 2010 at 3:54:34 pm

There are plenty of third party plug-ins with presets. Search around for some.

FXFactory
CoreMelt
Magic Bullet Looks

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Christopher Poole
on Apr 24, 2010 at 4:09:40 pm

Thanks,

I have tried all of those but they all seem really fiddly and too customisable.

I literally want to drag "80s home video" over my sequence and get it color graded, grained, blue, wobbled and bleachy. I mean in such a basic way, like in Garageband, you can change to "telephone", "through the wall" etc. Or like in aperture when you can apply quick "toy camera" or "vintage" looks. which do everything including the vignette.

Either that, or some tutorials or presets for final cut on how to create those looks.

thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 24, 2010 at 4:21:24 pm

Had you tried the "Bad TV" in FC?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Christopher Poole
on Apr 24, 2010 at 5:19:37 pm

Yeah, I've used that but I'm literally looking for presets of different video and film through time.

The Ross Synergy mixer had

1900s Film
1920s film
1940s film
1970s super 8
1970s video
home video
1980s video
1990s video

i think theres some demos on this demo page... http://www.rossvideo.com/synergy/squeeze14.html#demo

it does everything from the blur, to the colour, to the grain and vignette.

etc

Return to posts index

Christopher Poole
on Apr 24, 2010 at 11:18:26 pm

Like, how would I achieve the Borat look?

Would I have to colour/blur it manually?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 25, 2010 at 1:46:15 am

Hi Christopher,
You won't find a plugin that will give you exactly what you are looking for, because the final look won't only depends on the plugin, but also on the footage you are using.
The software mentioned by Steve is enough to get whatever look you are looking for, but you will need to tweak thing to get it.
rafael
PS: The Borat clip may have been shoot with a tubes camera.No much post needed

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 25, 2010 at 4:19:21 pm

Checkout Nattress' Big Box of Tricks. Lots of possiilities. And once you have an effect the way you want, you can save it and apply to other clips as needed.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 25, 2010 at 6:13:45 pm

If you're really a cheap b@#$rd you can just run 'em through QT Pro which has some filters you can fiddle with. I'd try Bad TV and Bad Film along with some color correction and make soft edges using masks, etc. Color has some pretty nifty presets you can try. Also, meld it with ArtBeats Film Clutter, maybe some DigiEffects "Damage".

A lot you can do.

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]