FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC HD log and transfer issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Askew
AVC HD log and transfer issues
on Apr 23, 2010 at 3:43:27 pm

Hello. This is my first time dealing with AVCHD footage and I can't seem to find anyone on threads that is having the problems I'm having, so if you have any insights or experience, it would be greatly appreciated

I am working on a MacBookPro with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo and 2 GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I am using Final Cut Pro 6.0.2

I have about 3 hours of footage recorded in the AVCHD format at 1920 x 1080, 24fps, with the data transfered to an iomega external hardrive. I am using firewire 800.

When I initially started to Log and Transfer to convert the footage, I used ProRes 422. However, after some hours went by last night I realized my screen dimensions were being reduced to something very weird- 1706(?) x 720, I believe. I decided to reboot and try converting with AIC for a smaller data rate, and hopefully no screen dimension screw ups, but after 9 short clips, the capture dropped the screen dimensions down to 1280 x 720.

So my inquiry is, basically, what is the issue here? Is my lack of Memory (2GB)? Is my computer not fast enough? Is it my version of Final Cut? I imagine these are all likely issues in my problem, but what is the most prevalent? Perhaps something else?

Again, if anyone can offer insight or experience, I would greatly appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVC HD log and transfer issues
on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:40:39 pm

Why might you think that? FCP doesn't change a darn thing. 1920x1080 comes in as 1920x1080. What camera was this shot with?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Edward Askew
on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:55:25 pm

I believe it was shot on a Panasonic AG-HMC series (i don't know what and the camera man is out of town). He's a PC guy so he formatted the hard drive on the PC for Mac using a program and I have the raw data or whatever.

Return to posts index

Edward Askew
on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:10:39 pm

I believe it was shot on a Panasonic AG-HMC series (i don't know what and the camera man is out of town). He's a PC guy so he formatted the hard drive on the PC for Mac using a program and I have the raw data or whatever.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:46:04 pm

That camera is has the best record for FCP compatibility. Imports should be fine. Maybe trashing your preferences will help? You should have zero issues.

Shane

Return to posts index

Edward Askew
on Apr 23, 2010 at 6:57:49 pm

Thanks. I was able to log and transfer all but 3 clips. Either I wasn't doing something right, or the log and transfer didn't really want to ID the AVC files as anything but "clip 1, clip 2, and so on into the hundreds." Perhaps I'm lazy but I didn't want to make descriptions for over 300 files.

I'm running an AVC conversion on Toast 10 with my other computer (old dual G5) and I think it will resolve my issues. In toast it can analyze the AVC files and indicates that a majority of the clips are indeed 1280 x 720. It also reads the .MTS files of the AVC structure and I think a proper identification system will be in place.

The other thing with this project is that it was all shot with a 35mm lens adapter, which flips the resulting image upside down upon- so I'm rendering all my captured clips with a 180 rotation flip. I don't suppose there's any easy way out of that.

BUT ANYWAYS...

Thanks for your prompt replies!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 23, 2010 at 8:30:56 pm

[Edward Askew] "Either I wasn't doing something right, or the log and transfer didn't really want to ID the AVC files as anything but "clip 1, clip 2, and so on into the hundreds." Perhaps I'm lazy but I didn't want to make descriptions for over 300 files. "

YOu are lazy. Really, you think you can remember that CLIP 45 is a shot of a man riding a bike? Or that clip 212 is a dog running? You need to have some descriptive name in there. AND, each card starts over with CLIP 1, CLIP 2...so you really need to give the clips unique names. If you have FCP 7, L&T has a handy feature where it will manually name the clip a clip name, and then sequential numbering, like say LOCATION/DATE_NUMBER. LAX042310_01, 02, 03. Or SantaMonicaPier_001, 002...and so on.

Good logging and naming avoid SO MANY hassles down the road, you have NO idea. Don't be lazy. It'll get ya.

But now you see why you might have errors. MULTIPLE clip 1, clip 2s. And for the love of God, give each card a unique REEL number.

Shane

Return to posts index

Edward Askew
on Apr 25, 2010 at 4:30:03 am

Well I completely agree with logging everything. I was in a rush to get my client quicktimes of all his footage so my main concern was getting the it into my system.

I did find that Final Cut 7 handles the AVC files SO much better, no more weird transcodes and (thank goodness) Media Start and Media End information on the timecode. I think the major problem I was dealing with was that FCP 6.0.2 doesn't seem to deal well with the AVC codec. The fact that I wasn't getting timecode was the biggest stresser.

...and yes, I used REEL information. I'm not an assembly line editor, but things need to get done fast with the work I encounter (maybe its a midwest thing). I organize my footage after capture when necessary and utilize the "rename file to match clip"

I do however, need to know more about automated file logging in the "Log and Transfer" mode so thanks for the push.

Well I completely agree with logging everything. I was in a rush to get my client quicktimes of all his footage so my main concern was getting the it into my system.

I did find that Final Cut 7 handles the AVC files SO much better, no more weird transcodes and (thank goodness) Media Start and Media End information on the timecode. I think the major problem I was dealing with was that FCP 6.0.2 doesn't seem to deal well with the AVC codec. The fact that I wasn't getting timecode was the biggest stresser.

...and yes, I used REEL information. I'm not an assembly line editor, but things need to get done fast with the work I encounter (maybe its a midwest thing). I organize my footage after capture when necessary and utilize the "rename file to match clip"

I do however, need to know more about automated file logging in the "Log and Transfer" mode so thanks for the push.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]