FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes on Media composer 5?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liam Lawyer
ProRes on Media composer 5?
on Apr 22, 2010 at 11:07:10 pm

Greetings all,

Perhaps this should be a post on Avid's forum, but I think it is more about FCP really.. did anyone who went to NAB this year see a demo of the new Media Composer software running ProRes material? Is it real or just "nice on paper" as most new Avid features are in the beginning.

This could be a huge game changer if you can use FCP systems for loading all material - cheaper and easy.

You can even output via FCP. We have a workflow with using QT refs out of Avid to lay to tape from FCP - so much more stable and easy for all our other deliverables like DVDs, etc with all FCS tools like Compressor and DVD studio pro.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ProRes crossover?

Liam Lawyer
Sharp Entertainment

Liam Lawyer
-editor-

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: ProRes on Media composer 5?
on Apr 22, 2010 at 11:11:46 pm

This appears to be true. An AJA rep pointed this out in the NYC FCPUG meeting last night. It opens Avid up to using footage recorded on the AJA Ki (and new Arri digital cam, too).

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 22, 2010 at 11:14:09 pm

We've been discussing this very thing on our blogs and Twitter. You can read my blog on the "Three A's." here on the Cow or on my own blog.

Avid cannot lay out to tape ProRes files. They were iffy on editing on Avid, lay back to tape via FCP.

More in the blog if you want to read it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Liam Lawyer
on Apr 22, 2010 at 11:33:13 pm

Great blog posts! Thanks as always...
I had a feeling that outputting may be an issue. I find Avids to have issues in general with outputting HD. I am sure we will check it out here for ourselves once we get the upgrade later this year. Hope we can all unify with ProRes!

- Liam

Liam Lawyer
-editor-

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 23, 2010 at 12:27:42 am

Oh yeah...I saw it. And yes, it will make it easier to capture with FCP, have people who insist on Avid edit in Avid, then back out to FCP to color correct and output. And also allows it to work with footage recorded on the KiPro and new Arri camera that record to ProRes.

HUGE.

PLUS...Avid MC 5 has new tools to make it VERY FCP like in how you can drag footage on the timeline. My blog hasn't been done. I've been working.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]