FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image Sequence missing frames in Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Horn
Image Sequence missing frames in Compressor
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:19:24 am

Hey all,

I'm trying to import a 24fps TGA image sequence into compressor v3.5.2 and spit out a 24fps ProRes 4444 quicktime.

But when the quicktime is made, there are many frames MISSING from it. Out of every ten frames, the 3rd and 8th frame is not in the quicktime, seriously affecting the duration of the clip.

Has anyone seen this before? Or know why it's happening?

I've imported about 30 image sequences and it happens on all of them. My A/V attribute settings for the image sequence is 24fps, and the fps of my ProRes setting is 24 as well. The missing frames ARE in the folder of stills, they just don't show up in the quicktime.

Feels like a pulldown or framerate issue, but I can't for the life of me find any other parameters to change!

-Brian
http://www.bullbythehorns.net

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Image Sequence missing frames in Compressor
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:24:55 am

No need for Compressor in this case, just use Quicktime Player for this. It handles image sequences quite well, and since there's no encoding, just wrapping, it will work just fine.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Brian Horn
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:35:10 am

Well....Although that's a great temporary workaround that I will certainly do, here's the rub with that.

I need to convert about 30-50 image sequences every single day. I'm working with some other programmers that are helping me create an automation setup to have compressor churn these out in the middle of the night, ready for editing the next morning. But we have to be able to rely on compressor if we're going to do that.

I don't think Quicktime can handle repeated, automated tasks...or can it? It definitely doesn't support batch processing. To my knowledge.

thanks for the response!

-Brian

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:09:53 am

[Brian Horn] "I don't think Quicktime can handle repeated, automated tasks...or can it? It definitely doesn't support batch processing. To my knowledge. "

I also don't think so. You might be able to get someone to write a script for you that would automate things, but that's way over my head.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:53:10 pm

You can probably use Automator to make a script that would allow you to convert all of your image sequences into QT movies.

But in Compressor, make sure that your frame rate in the encoding settings is set to 24, then at the bottom of the frames tab, check the box that says "so all frames play at 24"

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Brian Horn
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:52:55 pm

Good news! We fixed it. Trash the preferences. [forehead slap]

Also, we're trying to stay away from wrapping the image sequences twice. One single, clean transcode is what we're aiming for.

But...lesson learned...TRASH THE PREFERENCES!

Thanks for the thoughts!

-Brian

Return to posts index

Mohamed Selim
on May 25, 2010 at 10:03:55 am

Hey guys,

I'm having the same issue but unfortunately trashing preferences didn't cut it, nor did reinstalling.

I have an image sequence rendered out of Nuke, im working with 25fps.

Compressor interprets the footage as 29.97 so i change it to 25, then choose my codec and submit. It always freezes in the end and i do not get the full duration.

Any ideas?

Mohamed Selim
Senior Creative Editor/Digital Compositor
Mercury Visual Solutions
Cairo, Egypt

Return to posts index

Brendan Bellomo
on Apr 4, 2011 at 6:41:38 am

Hi All,

I am having a similar problem with Compressor dropping frames upon creating a QuickTime from a TIFF image sequence. The export also comes out too short w/ black at the tail.

Did anyone on this thread ever work this out?

One workaround that eliminated the "dropping frames issue" for me was loading the TIFF sequence into QuickTime, saving a reference movie, and loading that into reference mov. into Compressor for transcoding.

Brendan Bellomo
Director/VFX Supervisor
New York, NY

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]