FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut files go unrendered

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zeyat aden
Final Cut files go unrendered
on Apr 21, 2010 at 11:47:28 pm

I have 2 TB Western Digital. I've just purchased another 4 TB Western Digital. I've transferred all the footage files and the final cut Pro files. But now when I open the FCP 7 files from the 4 TB external Drive, every single frame has gone offline (and un-rendered). Now what to do other than reconnecting the media files and having re-render everything all over?

The reason that I've just purchased the 4TB is that Final Cut 7 would just freeze and then quit on me after about 1 hr or whenever I try to move some frames or do some fancy editing. Something that FCP never did before in FCP 6. So I thought it had something to do with the 2TB disk which still had about 400GB available.

I'm using the first line of MacBook Pro with 2.16ghz and a hard drive that has 7200rpm.

Please advise.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Final Cut files go unrendered
on Apr 22, 2010 at 1:15:06 am

Well did you copy all the media over to the 4TB drive with the same folder structure? Anytime you move files you have to reconnect the media, but if the structure is the same it will pull in all the other footage also, so it is a quick process. The same is true for the render files. But you have to tell FCP where you put them.

Not sure there is a direct link to the freezing and the HD, that is not where I would go right off the bat.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Final Cut files go unrendered
on Apr 22, 2010 at 12:33:10 pm

little hard to tell from your description, but you need to move your render files as well. Well, not necessarily, it depends on where you want them. You do want to define where your render files are located. I have to deal with this all the time. I have a couple projects that I bring home to work on (yeah, I know. I don't have a life other than this). FCP sees the original and portable drive as two different locations even though they're named the same (the OS can't be fooled that way). So I have to relink everything, and define the render files as living on the portable when I open from the portable drive. As an aside I make the process smooth by using ChronoSync to make sure the portable matches the original drive, including all the project files and the render files. Makes my life easier.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]