FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Process/Format for Outputting from FCP to DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Beckwith
Best Process/Format for Outputting from FCP to DVD
on Apr 21, 2010 at 10:46:08 pm

I have a 1hr HDV1080i50 project which I am having problems maintaining image quality once published to DVD. I am exporting as 10Bit uncompressed, then via compressor compressing DVD best quality 120min. The file is enormous at around 350Gb (I have another 10min video I would like to also fit on the DVD). I then import into DVDPro.

This is my first DVD output, so am I doing the best I can?

As a side note. The quality of the DVD is noticeably down and it can vary from scene to scene. What is very weird is that when i do a slow FFwd scan on my DVD player (new top of the range) the image quality is crystal clear? same result on another top player

Regards,

Wayne

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best Process/Format for Outputting from FCP to DVD
on Apr 21, 2010 at 11:17:56 pm

[Wayne Beckwith] "I have a 1hr HDV1080i50 project which I am having problems maintaining image quality once published to DVD."

You won't be able to maintain the quality...you are going from HD to SD, and a compressed form of SD.

[Wayne Beckwith] "I am exporting as 10Bit uncompressed, then via compressor compressing DVD best quality 120min."

Why? Why are you taking that extra step of compression? Completely unnecessary. Just export a QT movie...uncheck SELF CONTAINED so that it will be small, and quick. Then bring that into Compressor and choose the preset.

[Wayne Beckwith] " The file is enormous at around 350Gb"

The UNCOMPRESSED QT? Sure it will be. Again, unnecessary. The file you make in Compressor will be a LOT smaller. Under 4.6GB for sure. Plenty of room for the other video.

[Wayne Beckwith] "This is my first DVD output, so am I doing the best I can?"

No, you are mucking it up. Export QT movie, take into Compressor, choose BEST COMPRESSION DVD for the timing you have, take the result into DVD SP...make DVD.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Wayne Beckwith
on Apr 21, 2010 at 11:24:51 pm

Thanks Shane, just to check which QT export format setting.

Is it simply to export the TL as QT using "Current Settings" ? or select a different render format via QT Conversion? In which case which setting?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 21, 2010 at 11:38:11 pm

[Wayne Beckwith] "Is it simply to export the TL as QT using "Current Settings" ?"

Yup. Don't make self contained, don't recompress. Then take the result to Compressor.

Shane

Return to posts index

Wayne Beckwith
on Apr 22, 2010 at 1:55:28 am

Thank you very much Shane for the prompt replies. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Wayne

Return to posts index

Carl Rogers
on Apr 23, 2010 at 2:59:49 am

Shane,

Just to be clear - you are exporting to Compressor from the timeline... Not exporting a Quicktime movie and bringing that into Compressor, correct?

- Carl

Return to posts index

Wayne Beckwith
on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:26:34 am

Yes mate. "Send to compressor" direct from the timeline

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:34:26 am

[Carl Rogers] "you are exporting to Compressor from the timeline... Not exporting a Quicktime movie and bringing that into Compressor, correct?"

No...I am exporting a QT movie then bringing that into COMPRESSOR.

Shane

Return to posts index

Carl Rogers
on Apr 23, 2010 at 7:09:52 pm

What has been the big quality difference between bringing a QT movie into Compressor versus export directly from the timeline?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 23, 2010 at 8:32:47 pm

Export a QT movie...NOT self contained (render it first)...the difference is that exporting this way is faster, and doesn't tie up the computer. Taking the QT to compressor means that Compressor is working in the BG while you can work with FCP. If you have FCP 7, SEND TO Compressor now is a background process too. And that would be fine. Either works...but you have to get the ORIGINAL timeline settings to Compressor. Not some in-between step.

Shane

Return to posts index

Wayne Beckwith
on Apr 24, 2010 at 11:07:17 pm

Ok, so I exported an NON Self contained QT then imported to compressor. I chose best for 90min as my video is 65min and didn't change any settings. It only created 2 small files less than a gig.

I imported the 2 files into DVD Studio Pro to create a DVD with no menu or 1st play. The result played fine on the computer but obviously I have missed something as it will not play on a DVD player. It simply has a folder called HVDVD_TS saying it's empty.

I am assuming the data when played on the computer was being sourced somehow from the original project files. Now what am I doing wrong?

Wayne

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 25, 2010 at 2:12:11 am

[Wayne Beckwith] "It simply has a folder called HVDVD_TS saying it's empty. "

You incorrectly created an HD DVD. Go back and find out where you went wrong (probably DVDSP) and set it to settings for an SD DVD.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Wayne Beckwith
on Apr 25, 2010 at 10:01:07 pm

Thanks I found that the HD DVD setting was selected by default in Studio Pro. I set it to SD DVD and it worked a treat

I take it that this is another higher format that domestic DVD players can not read?

Now that I can watch my movie on DVD I can see for some reason there can be a difference in image quality between some clips. They have all been capture in the same format and all look the same on the TL? Any ideas on that one?

Wayne

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 25, 2010 at 10:51:12 pm

[Wayne Beckwith] " I set it to SD DVD and it worked a treat "

Good!

[Wayne Beckwith] "I can see for some reason there can be a difference in image quality between some clips."

That's way too vague for me Wayne. Why not use the Cow's ability to post images and show me a good frame vs. a bad frame. Then, I'm certain I can help you diagnose the issue. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]