FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 6.0 -Which Quicktime?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary woloszyn
Final Cut Pro 6.0 -Which Quicktime?
on Apr 21, 2010 at 3:20:51 pm

Any issues with upgrading to Quicktime 7.6.6.?

Running OS X 10.5.8.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut Pro 6.0 -Which Quicktime?
on Apr 21, 2010 at 3:30:13 pm

Nope, and you're very prudent: it's ALWAYS wise to be a little gun-shy about updating to a version of QT automatically.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Apr 21, 2010 at 3:44:57 pm

I never update anything once I have a system up and running. If it ain't broke...don't fix it.
-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 21, 2010 at 9:22:13 pm

[Matt Callac] "I never update anything once I have a system up and running. If it ain't broke...don't fix it. "

Matt,

This is the second time today I've read you discussing your "fear" of updating when people ask whether they should or should not do so when in mid-project. There may actually be some very good reasons for updating, and there really needn't be fear or stress involved for anyone.

Let me suggest that you completely relieve your stress, as well as that of others who ask here, by simply cloning your system drive to an inexpensive firewire drive before installing any updates. This simple procedure is all that's needed to relieve any concerns, and it allows you to test the update to see if it causes any problems. In addition, you can store the clone on your shelf and you can always go back in time if necessary by simply cloning the copy back to the system drive.

Cloning is truly the "professional" method of maintaining working editing workstations, especially on the Mac platform. You should really be doing it yourself, and please don't leave that part out when you answer Cow posts on the subject. When you do that, you don't encourage FCP users to do things the best way, instead you encourage them to fear the updates rather than taking charge of them.

Can you dig it?

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:44:10 am

BTW...David...you are absolutely right about that!!!

Tony Brittan
Apple Certified Pro - FCP
YouTube.com/tonybvideo
islandshoreproductions.com
POSTED FROM MY IPHONE

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:29:14 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Let me suggest that you completely relieve your stress, as well as that of others who ask here, by simply cloning your system drive to an inexpensive firewire drive before installing any updates."

I already do this. I use to do this on a second partition of my main HD..now I do it on a different drive.

[David Roth Weiss] "please don't leave that part out when you answer Cow posts on the subject. When you do that, you don't encourage FCP users to do things the best way, instead you encourage them to fear the updates rather than taking charge of them."

Noted..and will do. I just personally try not to upgrade/update in the middle of a project. I have the backup there...but still would like to not be in a situation of having to use it.

Sometimes I forget that in being brief you omit info that may be important
-mattyc

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:38:26 am

I will tell you that I have the same setup as far as 10.5.8 and fcp 6 and never update until I have to because of issues or whatever. I recently had capture issues with DV (I always work in different flavors of HD but had a SD client) so I bit the bullet.

Everything worked fine until I had to export an mpeg-2 for station delivery. About a week after the update. Well, I couldn't get them to pay back when done! Turns out they were fine but that update had broken the mpeg-2 playback component, or as the apple tech explained QuickTime 7.6.6 wasn't compatible with the version from FCS2. After a long discussion about why that's BS as this is something that comes with my expensive PRO app, they appologized but told me that I would have to purchase the new MPEG-2 playback component if I wished to have that function. I gave in, bought it, and all is well.

Just wanted you to know about that possibility. I always wait to update till I HAVE to because of odd behaviour or something like that.

Tony Brittan
Apple Certified Pro - FCP
YouTube.com/tonybvideo
islandshoreproductions.com
POSTED FROM MY IPHONE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]