FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard Drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chema Gomez
Hard Drive
on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:39:04 pm

Hi!!

I have a Lacie D2 Quadra Hard drive conected to my Mac Pro via Firewire 800. I'm editing XDcam footages and I'm running out of space so I decide to buy a new Hard drive, I've been seeing around that esata drives are much more adecuate to edit video, so I decide to upgrade my mac pro buying one of this drives, my question is.....

My mac pro doesn't have any esata port that I can see (I think there is the option inside) so Should I buy an internal HDD? or it's better to buy an external HDD and add an esata port to my mac pro?

Another question is about space, I'm thinking in buy 2TB HDD, has anyone an idea of which one or what features should I look at before I buy it?

My budget is £250

I'm editing XDcam right now but I expect to edit more high resolution footages in the future as we are planning to shot our next project in the RED camera, so could anyone recommend me a HDD that is fast and reliable for the future...

Thanks

Chema Gomez
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4870
Apple LED Cinema Display 24''

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Hard Drive
on Apr 20, 2010 at 6:02:53 pm

Mac Pros had space for 3 extra drives inside and they are SATA drives, so you can get up to 3 bare drives, no cables or hardware needed and they just slide in. IMO WD Black Caviar drives are top for the price. I also normally buy one down from the highest capacity that is out at the moment, 2TB drives seem to have more issues then 1.5 or 1TB. Don't know what the conversion is but you can get 1.5TB for about 100-130$ US.

Return to posts index

Chema Gomez
on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:44:37 pm

Hi Michael!!

Thanks for the quick response!!

As I understand, Internal HDD are the best choice for me right now, but I can't find the 1.5TB that you suggest, actually what I found is the 1TB and the 2TB... You said that there issues with the 2TB, which are they?, because as I can't find the 1.5TB, I will go for the 2TB as I need a lot of storage.
The only 1.5TB I found is the caviar green. it's a lot of difference between the green and the black?

Thanks

Chema Gomez
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4870
Apple LED Cinema Display 24''

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 21, 2010 at 4:30:36 am

I don't want to say that my opinion on 2GB is an expert one, just as a rule of thumb I stay away for the new biggest capacity that is out. If you do not have an on going back up system in place I personally would stay away from 2GB drives. For me it is better to be safe than sorry. Green are earth "friendly" less power lower heat and quietier, which is a good thing for inside computers. Once again, this is my personally recommendation of what I buy.

I get most of my drives from OWC/Macsales.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/3.5-SerialATA/Western_Digital_Ca...

Don't know if you are in the US or not.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]