FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create markers in Excel and import to FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Wilson
Create markers in Excel and import to FCP?
on Apr 20, 2010 at 2:20:54 pm

Hi. I 've been looking around to see if there is a way to create markers in an excel document and then import to FCP as markers. Everything I've seen seems to describe the backwards version of what I'm trying to do. I've successfully imported an excel document's info to FCP (via exceLogger) but haven't figured out how to get that info to translate into actual clip markers in FCP. Naming a column "Marker Name" in my spreadsheet doesn't seem to do the trick. Is there any way to do this?

Basically I'm looking to do this because I want to save time in my logging process. I am capturing entire tapes and while the tape is capturing I am watching it and logging in excel on my laptop. And I prefer markers when logging.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
Re: Create markers in Excel and import to FCP?
on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:03:34 pm

Try reverse engineering it. Set a marker exactly how you would like to see it in Final Cut, then export the XML. Load the XML file it generates into Excel and see if it gives you a clue how to do your own markers.

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:40:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually did try that...as far as i know how to...by "exporting markers as text" (alternatively I tried opening an xml file of a clip with logged markers but can't get it to open in a spreadsheet style...just looks like code)
and then using that same spreadsheet layout as that example created to do my logging, then bringing that excel file into ExceLogger app along with an xml of the (unmarked) file i was logging. But I get an error:
Errors Found Importing exceLogger.xml
clip:media:video:track:clipitem:file:timecode - : Unknown element encountered.( line 497 )

Looks like it failed on the timecode aspect but my timecodes are correct (dropframe ; and all..also tried it both ways with no success) so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe its just not possible to do the workflow I imagine?

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Apr 20, 2010 at 6:19:52 pm

No, it's possible. You just need to work out the XML. You might want to post a followup on this thread and see if Steve Thompson can point you in the right direction. From his messages it sounds like he figured out how to do what you want.

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
on Apr 20, 2010 at 6:25:42 pm

THanks! I will

Return to posts index

Pedro Fernandes
on Dec 21, 2016 at 3:28:05 pm

I have a similar doubt. Were you able to do this Amy? Can you please share some details?
Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
on Dec 21, 2016 at 3:54:15 pm

Sorry its been a while and I don't remember now. I don't think I was able to work it out and don't use FCP regularly these days. But you may be interested to check out Digital Rebellion's Cineplay and could maybe reverse engineer something based on how their xml marker export is set up?
https://www.digitalrebellion.com/cineplay/
Good luck

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 21, 2016 at 9:18:01 pm

The engineers no longer care about FCP 7. It was discontinued over 5 years ago. They are focussing on FCX.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ember Tramp
on Apr 21, 2010 at 10:36:15 am

Thanks for share.

Return to posts index

Ember Tramp
on Apr 21, 2010 at 10:36:31 am

Thanks for share.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]