FORUMS: list search recent posts

macbook pro mirror on TV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
macbook pro mirror on TV
on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:31:02 am

Hi, I’d like to connect a Macbook Pro 17” unibody to a Panasonic Plasma TV to mirror the desktop. This will be for teaching editing and on-line content for lessons. I’d like the image to be as high a quality as possible. The TV has a “PC” input as well as component. I also need the sound to come through either the TV or a small mixer hooked to a powered speaker or both. The mixer can go to both. The mixer has both xlr and rca inputs

What are my options and is cordless a possibility (without sacrificing quality)?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: macbook pro mirror on TV
on Apr 20, 2010 at 6:01:55 am

You can simply go out the DVI port on the MBP with a DVI to VGA cable, then get a mini jack to RCA stereo for the audio and you are all set.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 20, 2010 at 6:05:59 am

Normally TVs with a computer input are VGA. I don't know if the Macbook Pro has a VGA output. Usually a TV when switched to VGA has no sound inputs to the TV so running the audio through at the same time is usually not possible.

Expensive but best way to do it is use an AJA Io which gives you component and audio outputs from the firewire port of the Macbook. The cheaper Io express may be the ticket.

No point in going cordless. You can't transmit decent pictures that way so there will be a cable to the monitor. Might as well run the audio in the same bundle.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
thanks to all
on Apr 25, 2010 at 10:44:18 pm

I called AJA and a tech support rep said none of their units help mirror the desktop image on a TV. This confused me because I thought that was exactly one of their functions--to connect a monitor when editing in FCP. Now mirroring the desktop may not be the same as viewing the viewer/canvas.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: thanks to all
on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:05:04 pm

[Craig Alan] "I called AJA and a tech support rep said none of their units help mirror the desktop image on a TV. This confused me because I thought that was exactly one of their functions--to connect a monitor when editing in FCP."

The AJA products are video I/O devices for inputting and outputting and video signals to VCRs and/or monitors. Mirroring the desktop is a completely different thing that uses a computer display card to pipe your computer screen to a computer monitor or to a an HDTV that has the appropriate connections. If your HDTV has a computer connection as you said in your first post, then you simply need an adapter cable that has the monitor out on your laptop to whatever type of computer connector is on the Pany TV.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:17:08 pm

Thanks David,

So if an HDTV has a computer connection then it IS also a computer monitor and therefore can retain the quality of the macbook pro's image? But if hooked up this way it would not act as a TV monitor.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:20:32 pm

[Craig Alan] "So if an HDTV has a computer connection then it IS also a computer monitor and therefore can retain the quality of the macbook pro's image? But if hooked up this way it would not act as a TV monitor.
"

Pretty much! Some TVs handle the computer signal better than others, but Panys do it pretty well as I recall.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Thanks David one follow up
on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:24:45 pm

I'll get a DVI to VGA cable.

I assume if I use any other input on the panny that those are used for TV signals and would therefore degrade the desktop image? (component, HDMI for example)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Thanks David one follow up
on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:26:58 pm

[Craig Alan] "I assume if I use any other input on the panny that those are used for TV signals and would therefore degrade the desktop image? (component, HDMI for example) "

Correct!!!

DVI to VGA should do it for you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Thanks
on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:33:44 pm

Get it got it good.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Apr 20, 2010 at 11:57:32 am

If you're using the latest version of Macbook Pro, you can just use a mini-displayport-to-HDMI converter. Just make sure your MBP supports audio through the mini displayport and that your HDMI converter also passes the audio through HDMI and you're set. (Unless you're handling audio separately, in which case any MBP with any mini-displayport-to-HDMI adapter will work for you.)

I use this setup from my 27" iMac to my 46" HDTV to watch HD movies and it works beautifully!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]