FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple format project, which format to use

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vintagemurray
Multiple format project, which format to use
on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:26:42 am

I've got a project upcoming in which I will be be delivered interview footage in 3 different formats: ntsc 23.98fps, ntsc 29.97, and pal 25fps. In order to get the best looking results, which format should I choose as my mastering format? In other words is it better to convert everything to ntsc 29.97? Or is better to convert everything to ntsc 23.98 or to pal 25? My ultimate delivery is for the web so I don't need to conform to any final broadcast standards. It's more about which conversions are going to be best. And just so there's no discussion of it, I don't have any control over production in order to demand they all shoot one format. thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Multiple format project, which format to use
on Apr 20, 2010 at 1:01:55 am

As a common base, 23.976 is probably your best bet. The 25 fps can be slowed down to 23.976 with a 4.1% pitch drop which should be acceptable on speech. If not it is correctable.

My understanding is that 29.97 can be converted to 23.976 easier than going the other way, but as I live in the PAL world, I have no direct experience of that, just the info I have picked up from the COW over the past few years.

Compressor can be used to batch file convert before editing. Choose a common codec as well as frame rate to keep life simple.

Return to posts index

David Pond
Re: Multiple format project, which format to use
on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:23:20 pm

I would go with which ever codec has the largest amount of footage. Say 75% is 29.97, 10% 25fps, and 15% 23.98, I would make the project 29.97.

As for the conversion, I often use JES Deinterlacer for this kind of thing. While not perfect it does a very good job at conforming frame rates. Its not as easy to slow the footage down because you will get frame stuttering and it wont look that good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]