FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animation codec

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Weisenburger
Animation codec
on Apr 19, 2010 at 5:02:25 pm

Hi all. I am having issues with my workflow and am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

I am editing in FCP 6 and using AE CS4 for keying with Keylight. My sequences in FCP are in Pro Res 422. I had been exporting from AE in the animation codec as I was under the impression I would lose the least quality...however, as I expected, FCP can't handle that codec and and constantly freezes, etc...

Can I export from AE in Pro Res 422? Am I going to lose much quality, or any at all? This footage was shot with the Sony EX3 and will ultimately be output from FCP in a self contained Quicktime so as to be transferred to HD Cam.

Any help as to best workflow/pointing out mistakes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Animation codec
on Apr 19, 2010 at 5:21:25 pm

Do you need the alpha channel? Then if so, you must remian with animation, or upgrade to FCP7 which has a real time alpha channel in ProRes 4x4.

If you don't need the alpha, you can render ProRes out of AE.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Animation codec
on Apr 19, 2010 at 6:29:13 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "...If you don't need the alpha, you can render ProRes out of AE. "

...as long as the the AE machine ALSO has FCP installed on it. That's the only way, I believe, to have access to the codec for file writing purposes.

But frankly, I don't know why the guy can't just highlight the clip, render it in the timeline, and be done with it. Okay, you make changes and it's another re-render, but it's not THAT big a deal.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]