FORUMS: list search recent posts

video freezing and sound stops when mixing audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corrado Marengo
video freezing and sound stops when mixing audio
on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:35:18 pm

Hi guys,
I am running Final Cut 7.0.2 on 2 different top of the brand MacBook Pro, editing EX3 footage in Apple Pro Res HQ sequences, but this is not relevant because my problem persists also working in proxy format and also deleting all video clips from the timeline.

the problem
When I mix audio on the fly, it just stop working properly, the timeline keeps going but the sound stops and the video (when present) freezes on a frame, unless you pause and play again

It was one of the good things of FCP, very useful when you have to mix long offlines...any suggestion?

Thanks for your precious help.

CM

Editor with
Final Cut Pro
Avid

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Jeremy Garchow
Re: video freezing and sound stops when mixing audio
on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:37:20 pm

I get this too. It's rather annoying.

I'd notify Apple as it seems to be buggish.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Return to posts index

Corrado Marengo
on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:45:28 pm

Thanks for your quickest reply!

This is really bad, I thought it was my setting, but yours is a confirmation that is not me...
Shame, I think they are having a decreasing quality due to the lack of competition. We should go back to AVID (did you hear that, Apple?) ;-)

I tried everything I could imagine, if I find something I will post here.

Thanks again.

CM

Editor with
Final Cut Pro
Avid

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 18, 2010 at 6:08:05 pm

Could this be related to your capture card/device? Have you tried running Disk Warrior? If your disk directories are corrupt is it possible FCP is losing track of where the media is? I've never had this happen, so I just guessing.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 18, 2010 at 6:49:09 pm

[John Fishback] "Have you tried running Disk Warrior? If your disk directories are corrupt is it possible FCP is losing track of where the media is?"

It's nothing that serious. It just seems to be an rt issue. Could be capture card related, sure.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 18, 2010 at 7:28:47 pm

You do realize if you switch to Avid you won't be able to mix audio on the fly, since it is not offered as a feature. (unless you are using a supported outboard mixer/control surface). Touching the audio mix panel in Avid always stops playback.

The format you are using is processor intensive (more so than ProRes)...it's possible your MacBook Pro is not up to it

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 18, 2010 at 7:49:24 pm

You should also try turning off your video scopes.

Return to posts index

Corrado Marengo
on Apr 18, 2010 at 11:15:14 pm

Hi guys.

Basically with Tiger and FCP 6, real time mixing did work on my machine using the same camera, same codecs, same workflow, so I would exclude that option...

Tried what you guys said: videoscope off, frame viewer off, but still doesn't work. Apple Pro Res is one of the few codec that plays XDCAM EX in real time at the moment (not having a KONA of course, I am talking laptop, top of the gamma, but still laptop...sigh), but even trying with DVCPRO didn't help, nor HDV, nor Apple Intermediate Codec and not its native tedious XDCAM EX.
So I gave up and kept pausing and restart...as fast as I can...and used this link ;-) http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

@John Fishback: Man! with your machine I would be really angry if even the smallest bug would happen ;-) that's a dream machine for a freelance editor of my weight...you might be able to fly to the moon with that rocket...
Anyway, that's the configuration that I am aiming for, Congrats!

@John Pale: I know that, it was just being argumentative...Final Cut and Apple may be relaxing for they don't have a strong competitor in the same range at the moment...

Sorry for my English, hope it makes sense to you.....

Thank so much doh.

CM

Editor with
Final Cut Pro
Avid

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:28:08 pm

[Corrado Marengo] "Basically with Tiger and FCP 6, real time mixing did work on my machine using the same camera, same codecs, same workflow, so I would exclude that option... "

Yeah, I agree that it seems to be an FCP7 thing.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:22:59 pm

Well, it's not a capture card thing. I was trying to do some real time mixing today with no Kona and it does the same. Frozen video and sound cuts out.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]