FORUMS: list search recent posts

Something terrible has happened - Final Cut won't open!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jessica shaughnessy
Something terrible has happened - Final Cut won't open!!
on Apr 17, 2010 at 5:28:45 pm

Hi,

This is a bit of a tricky one to explain, but I am completely stumped and can't find the answer anywhere.

Somebody was using my computer and was having problems capturing. I tried to explain to them how to delete preferences over the phone, instead they accidentally deleted the folder, Library/Cache/Quicktime - at least they think that's what they deleted.

Anyway, after that, Final Cut would not open. It crashed before it even got halfway through loading. There was no error code, just the "final cut pro has unexpectedly quit" message.

When I got to the computer, it opened once but when I tried to open a project it said "general error, you do not have the right components". Then it crashed again.

After not much luck trying to figure out a solution, I thought the best thing to do was uninstall and reinstall. I uninstalled Final Cut Studio using the uninstaller tool, which said it was successful. I repaired permissions etc.

My intention was to reinstall Studio 2 before reinstalling my upgrade for Studio 3.

But it wont reinstall. When it gets to the part where you select the programmes that you want to install, FCP and Colour are greyed out. When I run my cursor over them, I get the message "TT newer already installed". There are definately no traces on my computer.

My Mac is a 2 x2.66 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Zeon
The system is OSX 10.6.1

Please help tell me what has happened. What could have been deleted that I need to get back?

Jess

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: .mxf preview unsupported for this format
on Apr 17, 2010 at 5:37:02 pm

There's no reason to install 2 then 3. Try installing FCS3.

Also, they probably deleted the Library > Quicktime folder. Make sure to make that folder again.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

jessica shaughnessy
Re: Something terrible has happened - Final Cut won't open!!
on Apr 17, 2010 at 5:41:45 pm

This might be me being a bit stupid but - even if it's just an upgrade version?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 17, 2010 at 5:52:31 pm

The upgrade part of the studio is your serial number. The discs have all of the information on them. You will need to enter your serial number from FCS2 to install FCS3 (along with your new FCS3 serial number).

And smack that person on the hand who started deleting stuff. Hard. ;)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

jessica shaughnessy
on Apr 17, 2010 at 6:00:06 pm

Ha ha!! I already have!!

This is reinstalling fine now, thanks - for some reason I thought upgrade discs only have the new bits on them but obviously not.

Fingers crossed it will all work when it was complete. That was easier solved than I thought it would be!!!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 17, 2010 at 6:02:07 pm

If they deleted more stuff out of your system, you might have to reinstall the system as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]