FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP File Size Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Wishart
FCP File Size Issue
on Apr 15, 2010 at 7:23:38 pm

I'm doing "How To" videos for the company I work for...with a Canon VIXIA HF S10. It's a new position and they don't quite "get it" when it comes to film. So I've had to work around issues.
I can't capture directly to FCP because the camera can't be found. I use iMovie and make a new event and capture from there, export it as xml and then import the xml file into my fcp project.
The issue I'm having is that all the clips iMovie makes ends up creating a file at about 95GB in size. Is there any alternative or something I'm forgetting?
Looking for any alternatives, so if you have a solution that might be different feel free to voice your opinion.

Alex

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP File Size Issue
on Apr 15, 2010 at 7:33:37 pm

Alex,

If you're going to be an editor you have simply got to be able to speak the lingo and communicate with others about video files and FCP in terms we know and understand .

Please, look at the QUICKTIME video files, these are .MOV files in the FCP BROWSER, and please tell us what you see there in the column that's headed by the term COMPRESSOR, which will identify the VIDEO CODEC for us so that we can help you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Alex Wishart
on Apr 15, 2010 at 7:48:09 pm

It's an "Apple Intermediate Codec"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:01:52 pm

Well, since you're using iMovie you don't have many options. You're limited to DV for SD and Apple Intermediate codec for HD. That's it, AIC is approximately 100gb per hour so you're stuck.

Hard drives are cheap now, go get another if you need it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Alex Wishart
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:17:46 pm

Thank you for your help. I didn't think I had much to work with, but thank God I'm living in a much later digital age of cheap storage.
Thanks again Mr. Weiss!

Alex

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:16:56 pm

You really should take the time to learn how to correctly configure the video settings so Final Cut Pro can capture your footage off your camera. If you can get your footage into iMovie, you can Log & Capture it into FCP. It's not as easy with FCP but you're already beginning to see why the easy way usually isn't the best way.

Return to posts index

Alex Wishart
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:39:36 pm

Are you saying that I actually can capture from the Canon camera? So far all the articles I've read say the same thing: the Canon VIXIA HSF10 will not be able to capture footage from FCP. I've tried all relative settings and so far no luck.
If you know how I'm all ears and then some. ANYTHING to make the process a little smoother and better for work-flow.

Alex

Return to posts index

Joey Goodsell
on Apr 15, 2010 at 10:34:41 pm

This is a flash disk camera so you need to use the log and transfer function in FCP. Plug the power supply into the camera, connect the camera to your computer using the included USB cable, put the camera in playback mode, the camera will prompt you to either print to DVD or transfer to your computer, choose computer or PC. Your camera will show up on the desktop as a USB drive. Open FCP, file>long and transfer and your media should appear. If you're using FCP7 then you can choose a variety of ProRes codecs to help manage file size.

Return to posts index

Alex Wishart
on Apr 16, 2010 at 1:25:36 pm

Thank you all so much for the help. I'll be sure to use the correct terms next time. I certainly joined a worth-while forum. Thank you all again so much!!

Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]