FORUMS: list search recent posts

5:4 pal to 16:9 sequence settings?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Bigelow
5:4 pal to 16:9 sequence settings?
on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:49:08 am

Greetings!

Currently I've edited a sequence in FCP that is in PAL 5:4 (please see embedded image below for my sequence settings). I want to now move all of the clips into a 16:9 sequence. I want to crop the 5:4 sequence, not stretch it. I will also need to adjust each crop individually within the 16:9 sequence (because each shot will require separate pan scan adjustments).

What kind of sequence (resolution, aspect ratio, pixel aspect ratio) should I use? I tried using the settings in the second image, but there were interlacing issues (assuming because of a mismatched resolution) and it doesn't look quite 16:9.

Im working in PAL, which I don't really want to be but the cameras were such. Eventually I plan on exporting the sequence primarily for playback on a computer monitor and on the web (h.264 and photo-jpeg)...from my knowledge, pal doesn't affect this. However, I will also need to eventually burn an NTSC DVD using this footage. I was planing on doing this conversion on output (with compressor).

Any advice on creating the 16:9 sequence and this workflow would be greatly appreciated!

My 5:4 PAL sequence settings:

My incorrect 16:9 sequence:

THANKS!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: 5:4 pal to 16:9 sequence settings?
on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:57:04 am

- Duplicate the 5/4 sequence and click the "Anamorphic" button.
- Select all your clips in the time line and "Remove Attributes: Basic Motion + Distort".
That's all.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ben Bigelow
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:06:21 am

Clicking anamorphic definitely makes the footage 16:9, however selecting all my footage and checking the boxes next to "Basic Motion + Distort" in the Edit > Remove Attributes menu doesn't affect my footage at all...it remains as it was, stretched in 16:9.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:23:29 am

OK.
Open a new DV PAL Anamorphic 48Khz sequence.
Copy and paste or drag&drop the stuff to the new sequence.
Remove Atribures as before.
rafael

Return to posts index

Ben Bigelow
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:34:06 am

Same result. When I copy the footage into the new sequence it is unstretched. I noticed that the aspect ratio of the footage is set to 33.33 in the motion tab, removing the distort attribute sets this to zero, but stretches the image horozontally.

The vertical resolution on the clips matches the new sequence, but not the horizontal (black bars on the side). Can I adjust the sequence settings so that the vertical resolution matches but not the horizontal? Then my footage will remain unstretched but be cropped on the top/bottom, which is what im after.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 15, 2010 at 6:38:42 am

Hi Ben
If you put a 4x3 (5x4. 100% size and no distortion) in an Anamorphic sequence, the clip will fill horizontally the canvas, and the top and low portions of the clip will be cropped.
Not other way.

I guess you are using some funny sequence setting (720x405/16x9 aspect?) or something like that, otherwise this should be working.
rafael

Return to posts index

Ben Bigelow
on Apr 16, 2010 at 2:59:07 am

Hum dinger....

Well, when I take this footage:

And drop it into this sequence:

I get this result:

Here are the setting of the clip in the motion tab, if I change aspect to "0", it just stretches the horizontal rez

strange...am I missing something here? THANKS!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:21:06 am

Everything is perfectly normal. Your 4:3 footage is pillar boxed in the 16:9 frame.

Next stage is to zoom up the scale to 133 and then pan/scan your image to create a 16:9 framing within your 4:3 picture.

Return to posts index

Ben Bigelow
on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:29:23 am

Oh!

The only step I'm confused about is how to pan/scan the image once the footage has been scaled...at 133 percent, wont I be loosing resolution?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:39:51 am

Yes of course you lose resolution. You are framing a 16:9 image from a 4:3 so to get the edges correct without distorting the image, you will have to zoom in and frame for headroom.

In the Motion tab, you have adjustment for centering the image. You can also drag the image with wireframe enabled.basically you don't have room to pan, just up down adjustment. You can also keyframe the center values to do mini tilts within a shot.

Return to posts index

Ben Bigelow
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:32:23 am

Ok I get it, sweet!

God damn shooting on tape! I just get anal, feel like FCP is always out to get me in this workflow. The COW saves again!

Take care,
Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]