timeline issues...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
stephen Simon
timeline issues...
on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:07:22 am

OK.

Brought in my DV footage (shot on canon xl2) to final cut pro (newest version)

Used batch capture. Started dropping frames. It kept stopping the capture. So we took off the ability to stop the capture when there are dropped frames.

Brought footage in, there were a few times that the image froze for a bit, but no problem. It's a music video, so we worked around it.

Every time we use the BLADE tool, we notice that the icon for the new piece of footage doesn't match the first frame of the clip...

I thought that was weird. When I double click on the clip, it comes up in the viewer ok. But when I click and hold that image, it pops up a thumbnail that is a different image...

I exported the film to quicktime and all the cuts are off by like seconds or minutes. I'm getting the pieces we DON'T want.

Did the timecode break? Is there a button I pushed that shows me the wrong footage? HELP! Thanks...

Stephen

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: timeline issues...
on Apr 15, 2010 at 5:33:11 am

Similar problems have happened to me in the past. You can start by trashing FCP's preference files. If you're unsure how to do this then download this free app that will do the job for you:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/pref_man.htm

Once the program is installed, start it and click on the Advanced Tab. For now, just make sure that the only check mark is beside the Final Cut Program and then click on the "trash selected items" icon at the bottom of the window. Now when you start FCP it will have a new set of preference files. Later, you'll be able to configure FCP to your liking, save those prefs. with Preference Manager and when FCP starts acting weird again you can trash prefs and then use your back up prefs saved in Preference Manager.

Anyway, make sure that you've got a good firewire connection between your computer and video deck (XL2?) If you've been dropping frames during capture then either the connection is sketchy, the tape transport of your camera/deck has issues, or FCP prefs are corrupted. Don't turn off "Warn of dropped frames during capture." You need this turned on to make sure everything's capturing properly. Turn it off and you're going to get clip mismatch issues like you're experiencing now.

- Don

Return to posts index

adam taylor
Re: timeline issues...
on Apr 15, 2010 at 12:36:05 pm

i think you can also get those same dropped frame errors if the hard drive you are capturing to is having problems.
Ensure you have a drive capable of 7200rpm, and also do not capture to the system drive if you can avoid it. Last time i checked, USB drives are not recommended either because they write data in bursts (packets) rather than as continuous data streams such as in firewire.

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]