FORUMS: list search recent posts

The dreaded orange render line

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Rollins
The dreaded orange render line
on Apr 14, 2010 at 10:24:48 pm

Hello, this is my 1st post on the COW. I have been cutting a movie in FCP7 and am wondering what is causing the Orange render bar. It is taking an extremely long time to render or export my video. My video is 23min in length, full 1080p, and it took about 5 hours to export it to a QT reference movie. The same video.. when fully rendered (no orange) took about 10min. I attached a screenshot of the little messages that pops up over the Orange bar. I googled the exact wording and found nothing. Any idea what I can do to get rid of this orange nightmare?

Cheers,
Dan Rollins
HDSLR Videographer (T2i & 7D shooter) - FCP7.0.2 (Studio 3) - 27" iMac 2.8 Quad Core i7 4GB RAM

Return to posts index

denise quesnel
Re: The dreaded orange render line
on Apr 14, 2010 at 11:54:41 pm

I would never try and render a self contained video that has still images in it. As you have found, it is a render but also corruption nightmare.

What I would do it just render out the still images into a quicktime, whatever codec your sequence is in. Then re-import the resulting video into your sequence and delete the images. There should be no render time on this.

Return to posts index

Dan Rollins
on Apr 15, 2010 at 12:56:02 am

Thanks Denise. So even if it is a still JPG image, render that one image to a QT movie file and re-import it? Just want to make sure i understand. I have several still images that I keyframed to animate in throughout and they are layers so some images sit on top of video etc. So your recommendation would still work with what I am trying to do?

Thanks much!

Cheers,
Dan Rollins
HDSLR Videographer (T2i & 7D shooter) - FCP7.0.2 (Studio 3) - 27" iMac 2.8 Quad Core i7 4GB RAM

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Apr 15, 2010 at 1:05:50 am

Dan,
Final Cut sets aside a certain amount of RAM to play stills in real time. This is set in System Settings/Memory & Cache/Still Cache. You will find that a certain number of stills can be inserted before rendering is required. That happens when the Still Cache is exceeded. You can increase the still cache setting to see if part or all of the orange bar goes away. There is a point of diminishing return. Perhaps the manual can shed light on what that is.

When exporting a Quicktime Movie, whether reference or self-contained, FC has to render any unrendered items. It does that according to the quality specified in Sequence Settings. If the sequence is fully rendered, export happens faster. In the case of a Reference Movie, Quicktime will reference the render files that are stored on the scratch disk specified in System Settings.

Another strategy is to reduce the size of the stills so that they are not outsized for the sequence. There are many posts on the Cow about the proper size. It's good that you're using PNGs. They use efficient compression and are well tolerated by Final Cut. If you're not doing moves on the stills, there is no reason to make them larger than the size of the sequence. If you're moving them, you need to have enough size to accomplish the move without scaling the picture above 100%.
- Tom

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 15, 2010 at 1:09:56 am

Damn nice explanation Tom.

Dan, listen to Tom, he's got the whole stills concept in FCP down.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Dan Rollins
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:23:11 am

Tom, thank you so very much. That was extremely insightful. I love these forums! I usually find what I need right away but this was hard to find. I will play with the settings and check my image sizes.

Thanks again Tom.

Cheers,
Dan Rollins

Return to posts index

Arnoud No
on Oct 21, 2010 at 8:20:04 am

Tom, somewhat off-topic but dealing with the same orange nightmare:
on a prores HD 422 proxy (or no proxy, same thing) timeline, I get the still cache warning when adding a text layer (subtitles). See the image attached. Even on a new clean project with just one clip in it, same thing. Adjusting the cache doesn't solve it. Notice in the image how the first text is okay, but from the second it goes wrong. The image plays back quite jerky, as if it needs a lot of real time rendering.
This occurred about a week ago with green lines first, and going to orange next.
I've had no clues so far neither from my own network nor Cow. Do you perhaps have an idea?

FCP 703 / MBP 15" i7 / 8GB RAM / FW800 WD 2TB

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:26:19 pm

I need to catch up with you a little bit. The answer seems to be that your first title fills the still cache, leaving no cache for the rest of them to play in real time. What type of stills are these subtitles?

Beyond that, you could have some sort of RAM shortage causing this.

Return to posts index

Arnoud No
on Oct 21, 2010 at 1:16:48 pm

Tom thanks for you re:
it's an outline text or normal text generated by fcp itself (from the pulldwn options in the Viewer).
Other apps don't seem affected ram wise.
When I conform the sequence to DV it doesn't occur (even though the native codec is prores).
Other titlers (Boris 3D) have the same issue but effects, like a timecode generator etc do not.
It appears indeed the cache fills up after just one or two texts, but is there a way to clear it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]