FORUMS: list search recent posts

Update on iMac Ethernet SAN issues?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Hamilton
Update on iMac Ethernet SAN issues?
on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:15:48 pm

Last time I heard anything about the i5 and i7 27" iMac Ethernet controller Jumbo Frames issue, I heard that Small Tree was looking into a workaround to get the speed back up to acceptable levels for editing off a SAN.

Is there any update about this? Could the Jumbo Frames issue be fixed with a firmware update? We're looking into getting a 27" iMac for editing and want to eventually hook it up to an Ethernet-based SAN when we're ready to get one. I'd like to get the i5 and i7, unless the Ethernet issue will eventually hobble us.

We're not doing any broadcast work at the moment, but we'd like to eventually (we've got some TV ideas in the works). We've also got a film we're trying to get off the ground that would be shot on HD (maybe even a RED). Otherwise, what we've got lined up will be Web- or DVD-delivered video. We've got an almost two-year old 8-core MacPro right now and a 5-year-old G5 that will probably be replaced by a 12-core MacPro whenever those come out. The iMac would be intended for assistant editor-type work, although I'm sure it will be used for other things (Web design, motion graphics, VFX, or whatever else can be squeezed out of it if the other machines are busy).

------------------------------
H. Keith Hamilton
Post-Production Supervisor
SkyGate Studios
keith@skygatestudios.com
kham4002@mac.com

http://www.skygatestudios.com

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
Re: Update on iMac Ethernet SAN issues?
on Apr 14, 2010 at 6:51:53 pm

Not sure a firmware patch will fix this. One of the posts I read documenting the issue seemed to indicate that it was the limitation of the hardware itself that Apple chose to use.

I could be wrong. (I often am.)

Return to posts index

Gorazd Koncar
Re: Update on iMac Ethernet SAN issues?
on Apr 23, 2010 at 7:23:12 am

Here is the solution of the problem:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1084302

Best regards,

Gorazd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved