FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio from analog tape

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sverker Hahn
Audio from analog tape
on Apr 14, 2010 at 1:31:31 pm

I have an old (25+) Sony TCD5 portable cassette tape recorder. Is it possible and easy to add such recordings to FCP? Or should I get a digital recorder of some kind?

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Audio from analog tape
on Apr 14, 2010 at 1:55:47 pm

You need a capture card with analog inputs to capture the audio.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 14, 2010 at 1:57:43 pm

I wrote card, but I should have said device. There are a number of "boxes" that will capture analog audio.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Apr 14, 2010 at 2:08:02 pm

You could patch the tape deck's output to the Mac's analog input and use Quicktime Pro's audio recording option, then import into FCP. You may need to re-export from QT Pro (or go through iTunes) to have the resulting file be AIFF 48kHz to keep FCP happy.
There are also a few third-party share/freeware apps to do this. Search Versiontracker.com or macupdate.com.
Or, as suggested, get a simple analog to USB audio interface for digital capture and use the above to record.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 14, 2010 at 2:16:57 pm

If you have a camera or video deck, you can either patch your cassette deck through it and capture via FireWire, or just record the cassette to video tape along with color bars and then capture the tape.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 14, 2010 at 3:01:04 pm

I believe that in order to use the firewire method, there must also be a video signal present. The analog audio input works just fine, and you can capture directly into FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]