FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP/Motion Keying w/ AdvantEdge

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Chappie
FCP/Motion Keying w/ AdvantEdge
on Apr 14, 2010 at 3:35:52 am

I am having a hard time getting a good key. I am using AdvantEdge in Motion and FCP and it looks like crap. My talent is blonde on a green background, which I hear is part of the problem, currently she's looking real Barbara Walters/Xanadu lensey with all the softening of the edges I am doing to make the key less talky/fuzzy/pixely, basically just a crappy key. I am also keying her into a white background, which i hear can complicate things. I also have BCC plugins, but can't seem to find the right combination of color correcting, matte choking, etc. to get a the key I need. Anyone else been in this situation that might be able to help me make the most of what is becoming an Alan Smithee production?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Michael Gissing
Re: FCP/Motion Keying w/ AdvantEdge
on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:22:57 am

What codec is the camera original and what codec is your sequence settings

Return to posts index

Bill Chappie
on Apr 14, 2010 at 1:33:53 pm

They are both 1280x720 HDTV 720p (16:9). I'm now applying a BCC Composite Choker to see if that'll help anything.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Arnie Schlissel
on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:36:02 am

The rule of thumb is "blond on blue" for just this reason. Yellow (as in blond hair) is a mixture of green and red. Blue lies opposite the color wheel from yellow.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:00:01 am

[Arnie Schlissel] "The rule of thumb is "blond on blue""

I thought it was blonde draped on Harley.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Apr 14, 2010 at 2:46:58 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I thought it was blonde draped on Harley."

That, too! Also, 'blonde in bikini'!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Jason Diebler
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:01:25 pm

I've never used AdvantEdge, but I can relate to this issue... a couple of tricks that could help: color grade the footage and try to get more contrast & tonal range out of your image before you pull the key. Color works really well for this. Pull the key from point in your image that is closest to her hair, not by her elbow for instance. Composite your subject in layers if your key is uneven; Motion has great bezier masking tools. Limit effect in CC3Way can come in handy in very creative ways too. There's really no one-stop filter to handle a problem key, but combining a few different tools might get you closer to the look you're hoping for.

"The deepest blues are black" - Foo Fighters
(this doesn't help me when I'm chroma keying!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]