FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving old projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Korry Melton
Saving old projects
on Apr 13, 2010 at 9:47:09 pm

I have some old wedding projects that are complete and I need to clear out some room on my drives. I don't want to delete them, but am having trouble fitting them on a dvd. Should I export the project as a quicktime movie then save that(files are very big)? Or should I run it through compressor and save it that way?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Saving old projects
on Apr 13, 2010 at 10:16:25 pm

Clearly, there is a huge advantage to archiving self contained files using Export Quicktime Movie, especially if you ever want to re-edit or even pare them down for a demo. 500Gb hard drives cost like $50 these days, so what the big deal? Splurge a little...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Korry Melton
on Apr 14, 2010 at 1:30:25 am

well I have a few Terabyte drives and they are beginning to fill up. Don't want to have a stack of full external drives to store when I could put it on DVD.

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Apr 14, 2010 at 2:55:43 am

Hi Korry,

Are you media managing these projects before archiving? This will save a ton of space and only store the media you used in the project timeline, which, if you shot 3 hours of video for a 5 or 10 minute video, this is a huge difference in archive space needed. But the project would still need to be fairly short depending on your QT flavor, to fit on a single DVD data disc.

There really is not a an easy answer to this other than what David suggests. If your a pro, spend the money and do it right, if you are not, just output a master QT file of the project and delete the project. You most likely would not need to ever go back and re-edit.

A possible third option, if your media was captured from tape and all your reels were properly labeled in your capture process, you could just save the project file with out the media (after creating your master QT file) and if you need to go back and do a re-edit, just recapture the media from the original tapes from within the original project file (there is instructions on how to do this in the manual) and you are back in business.

If your media originated from a file based camera (P2, XDCAM ec) then you dont really have any option but to bite the bullet and purchase drives for archiving... Oh yes! and dont forget, you will need 2 Drives,... one for archiving and on for a backup.

Hope this helps

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 14, 2010 at 3:05:45 am

The cost of a 1TB drive compared to 250 DVDR disks plus your time to backup 4 gigs at a time is a bit of a no brainer. People got excited by bluray because it can backup 8-10 times the data of a DVDR, but since then hard drives have become frighteningly cheap.

Nothing will be faster than putting your current full drives on the shelf and then buying a new drive. If the data really matters then buy two drives and clone as Richard said. Put the drives in different places just like professional archivers if you want to go the extra.

Return to posts index

Korry Melton
on Apr 14, 2010 at 1:55:19 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the info!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]