FORUMS: list search recent posts

QT Inspector and FCP don't jive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Sykes
QT Inspector and FCP don't jive?
on Apr 13, 2010 at 7:53:29 pm

Hello. Here is a situation I have never run into before. I have a video that was taken from a camcorder that wrote a video TS file (yuck). I converted the file to MPEG4 using handbrake but then had to convert it into a .MOV so that I could edit it in FCP and eventually break it up into 10 min. segments for posting to youtube as the project is 35 min. long. Sounds simple enough?

The footage looks normal in QT and the inspector says that the current size is 640x480, however when I import it into FCP the size switches to 352x480.....what gives?
I WOULD use streamclip to just re-import the footage from the disc and call it case closed but I don't think the disc was finalized as my machine (macpro/dual 2.8 quad core/FCP 7.0.2/OS 10.5.8) keeps rejecting the disc.
Oddly enough, the disc is not being rejected by the work machine (mac pro/2.66 quad core/FCP 7.0/OS 10.6) as that is the machine I was able to use handbrake to extract the original MPEG4 file. Oh yeah, the work machine doesn't have QT pro yet as it is not connected to the net yet so I can't use streamclip on it yet. I am stuck with a machine that either doens't or can't have the necessary tools to get the job done or a machine that has the tools but cannot accept the disc. This is turning into a comedy of errors. Everything will be much better at the end of the week when the work machine will have an airport card (don't ask) but of course the client is expecting the clips by tomorrow. Ughh. Any help would be awesome.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: QT Inspector and FCP don't jive?
on Apr 13, 2010 at 7:59:30 pm

[Graham Sykes] " I am stuck with a machine that either doens't or can't have the necessary tools to get the job done or a machine that has the tools but cannot accept the disc."

Until you rectify those problems it sounds like your SOL.

BTW, there's no doubt that handbrake to MPEG4 is the big issue. I don't ever see posts here with anything that Handbrake has fixed, but I see problems it has caused all the time. That should tell you something.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Graham Sykes
on Apr 13, 2010 at 8:11:45 pm

Agreed. Handbrake is defiantly not my first choice when it comes to extracting from a video TS folder but I really didn't have much of a choice. On a side note, do you are anybody else know if streamclip will work on a machine that is running the current version of QT (10.0 I think it is) but has not been upgraded to pro? CAN it be upgraded to pro? I don't see any options to register it when I look. Not that I can without being connected to the net but if I can get streamclip to work on the other machine I could just re-extract from the original disc.

These problems stem from the fact that the work machine is brand spanking new and doesn't have all the plugins and upgrades yet which are causing most if not all of my problems. I was a bit surprised to not find any options to go to pro on QT....yet.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 13, 2010 at 8:19:07 pm

[Graham Sykes] "do you are anybody else know if streamclip will work on a machine that is running the current version of QT"

The problem is not that Streamclip won't work without QT Pro installed, the problem is that the codecs you might need might not be installed. However, if you only need to rip to DV, I'm certain the DV codec will be there and available to Streamclip.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Graham Sykes
on Apr 13, 2010 at 8:22:02 pm

It's worth taking a shot. Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]