FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can someone please help me decide on the best solution for my Macbook Pro and FC Studio?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Arnadt
Can someone please help me decide on the best solution for my Macbook Pro and FC Studio?
on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:31:11 pm

I am purchasing a new 13" Macbook Pro this week (assuming the new Macbooks are relased this week like reports are saying). What is the best way to set this up for Editing and Color correction? I will be editing RED footage, so Im not sure what kind of external drive I would need as far as speed. Also, do I set up the scratch folders on that external drive in a seperate folder? Sorry about the questions, I have never been clear on configuring Final Cut Studio with my computer and other hardware. Thank you-

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Can someone please help me decide on the best solution for my Macbook Pro and FC Studio?
on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:39:55 pm

Honestly, the best way for what you want is not to use a 13" laptop. If you're serious about using FCP with Red footage & serious about color correction, get a Mac Pro tower, a Kona 3 card a very big, very fast RAID and a really good set of monitors, including a really good broadcast monitor.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Can someone please help me decide on the best solution for my Macbook Pro and FC Studio?
on Apr 13, 2010 at 1:57:23 am

I am purchasing a new 13" Macbook Pro this week (assuming the new Macbooks are relased(sic) this week like reports are saying). What is the best way to set this up for Editing and Color correction?

The best thing to do, is to return the MBP if you have already bought it.
The next best thing to do is put it on Craigs list or Mandy if you can't return it.

You want to edit RED on a laptop, and CC on a 13" screen?
Do some research, get some seat time before you jump in!
And then...
By a desktop system!
Chic' laptops are for picking up hippy girls at coffee shops, or trying to impress the guy sitting next to you on the plane.
OK they may be good for client 'show and tells', or for field screening of dailies.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Apr 13, 2010 at 3:52:38 pm

I'll just go ahead and pile on here. That you're even asking tells me that you've never done this type of work before and you don't have any idea what's required to do it right. To even approach a bare minimum standard, you're going to have to drop at least $20,000 on a Mac Pro, Kona Card, RAID and professional broadcast monitors.

And let me anticipate your next comment:

"Yeah, I know, that's how it's SUPPOSED to be done, but I'm looking for a cheaper entry-level system just to get me started."

$20K *IS* the cheaper entry-level system.

Return to posts index

Brandon Arnadt
on Apr 13, 2010 at 6:50:38 pm

Thank you for everyones input here. I think its funny that I get serious responses saying "go drop $20,000" on an entry level system. I am not editing a feature here, just some editing and finishing on some 30 second spots. I will not be using the 13" screen for finishing. It can be done on this computer...is it the most efficient...hell no! But, I need new a laptop and am not doing post production for a living so Im not going to break the bank for some faster rendering times. And the comment about not having done this before...thank you for the back handed compliment but I have work being played in the Los Angeles market curently but am usually no on the Post side of things. Thank you for the input though!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 13, 2010 at 7:21:56 pm

[Brandon Arnadt] "I am not editing a feature here, just some editing and finishing on some 30 second spots."

And so, if you deliver a :30 spot for a commercial client that has serious interlace and color correction issues and because you couldn't monitor properly, will your client's say, "oh, that's no biggie, it was just a :30 spot?"

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 13, 2010 at 7:39:19 pm

Brandon,
This is what you said in your original post regarding the use of a 13" MBP for RED footage post:

What is the best way to set this up for Editing and Color correction?

Now you are saying your not finishing the project on the MBP? Hmm...

"but I have work being played in the Los Angeles market curently(sic) but am usually no on the Post side of things."

So what? Is that supposed to establish your 'cred'?
The geographic region your grip work, or whatever, has no bearing on editing experience, which seems to be the crux of the discussion here.
You and I cross posted, but I will paraphrase what I said in the other post.
I think a client with an investment as big as a RED project, even if it is commercial length, deserves someone with experience, and proper equipment, and it sounds like you have neither. Give the gig to someone else in your area that does have the gear and experience, and ask to be their assistant on the project.

I know you don't like the answers you are getting here, and since your 'work' is being played in LA, you will probably not follow any advice given here.
But when you are asking how to build a how to build a house, with nothing more than a 'Swiss army knife' for a tool box, you should expect some sarcasm.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 13, 2010 at 7:05:50 pm

And let me anticipate your next comment:

"Yeah, I know, that's how it's SUPPOSED to be done, but I'm looking for a cheaper entry-level system just to get me started."

$20K *IS* the cheaper entry-level system.

Mark,
I think your right on the money there, no pun intended.

And Brandon,
Sarcasm aside.
Honestly, if your on a budget that can only afford a 13"MBP, the thing to do would be to pass the RED editing gig on to someone else that has a proper system, and perhaps ask to be their assistant on the project.
Also, your post seems to point to the fact you don't have much editing experience, and a large RED camera project is not an entry level, or even mid-level project, and the clients best interest really needs to be considered here.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]