FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC Intra FCP 7 - Multiclip and Sequence Settings HELP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Locarro
AVC Intra FCP 7 - Multiclip and Sequence Settings HELP
on Apr 11, 2010 at 4:16:55 am

I have a multicam shoot with footage shot in AVC Intra 100 - 720p 30. This footage was brought into FCP 7 through Log and Transfer. FCP is seeing this footage as AVC I.
When attempting to create a multiclip, the footage will play in the viewer but as soon as the multiclip is dropped onto the timeline, It needs to be rendered and all multiclip benefits are gone.
The sequence wants to be set at HDTV 720P (16by9) Pixel aspect ratio is square.

I'm working on a MacPro Quad tower 2.66 with Kona 3 card and 6 Gigs memory.

Found the thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1046838
Very helpful but can't drop $500+ for MXF4mac.

Can you suggest a workaround? How can I convert the AVC I footage to ProRez LT and then bring in the High rez footage after the cut? Have done plenty of off-line/on-line editing with HD tape, just not as familiar with how to do this with P2 footage

Thanks for the help.
Joe

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVC Intra FCP 7 - Multiclip and Sequence Settings HELP
on Apr 11, 2010 at 4:33:08 am

While FCP can import AVCIntra as native, there are NO sequence settings for that format. You'd have to use ProRes settings. Seeing as there are no sequence settings for AVCI, trying to multiclip the native format would be fruitless.

Yes, you can import it at a lower resolution, say ProRes Proxy, then Media Manage to an offline sequence, with handles, then "batch Capture" (that will reimport the tapeless media) when you have locked picture.

This online resource is INVALUABLE:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutstudio/workflows/

Specifically....

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutstudio/workflows/#chapter=5%26sec...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Locarro
on Apr 11, 2010 at 1:16:43 pm

Thanks Shane, that was very helpful.

Quick followup - Have you ever tried making multiclips using MXF4mac ingested footage? Looks like we'll be shooting more in AVC I and I'd like to see if we can streamline our workflow. Thinking of getting MXF4mac.

Thanks again,
Joe

Return to posts index

Joe Locarro
Re: AVC Intra FCP 7 - followup logging question
on Apr 11, 2010 at 1:45:05 pm

Forgot to ask.

We initially ingested this footage using ProRez (regular) and it was logged (with markers and in/out points). Since we'll essentially be creating a duplicate project (this time using footage at ProRez Proxy, would it be best just to make all of the clips offline, then re-import using log and transfer (and the ProRez Proxy setting).

I feel I may be missing a step but does media manager allow you to re-import using log and transfer?

Thanks again,
Joe

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 11, 2010 at 5:08:22 pm

I haven't multiclipped native MXF footage via MXF4Mac. The only times I use native files via that option is when I am editing a project on my own and need something done fast. Otherwise, we either import via Log and Transfer, or use P2 Flow to log, and then make a batch list to import as QT files. Because I am on shared systems and need to use the files on multiple machines. Can't afford MXF4Mac on all of them.

And look that the links I provided. YES, the media manager allows you to set the resolution that you will be re-importing. But use use the Batch Capture option...it then opens Log and Transfer.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Locarro
on Apr 11, 2010 at 5:32:40 pm

Good to know. If I end up getting MXF4mac I'll give multiclip a try and let you know.
Thanks again for the help.

Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]