FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fast way to cut up one clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris mccarville
Fast way to cut up one clip
on Apr 11, 2010 at 2:37:47 am

I have one 3-minute piece of video and I am making a music video for my cousin. I want to use the blade tool and cut it up (on the timeline) into little pieces, then apply various filters and effects. Is there a way to just automatically divide it into 100 pieces? To count it out and use the blade tool for each cut is time consuming.

Thanks in advance for any help. I am beginner user, so talk to me slowly.

~ guess how I made my user photo and win a prize! ~

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Fast way to cut up one clip
on Apr 11, 2010 at 4:29:16 am

How would FCP automatically cut it up? How would it know where you want it to be cut? It wouldn't...you have to show it. Sorry, no easy button here.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Apr 11, 2010 at 11:43:25 am

There\'s a semi automatic way of achieving this. You take your clip length in frames and divide that by 100. That gives you the length of each \'cut\'. Take a slug of this length and place it on a track higher than your clip. Copy and paste this 99 times. You don\'t actually have to do it 99 times. You can paste it once to get 2 parts, then copy these 2 to get 4, then 4 becomes 8 and in just 7 copy-paste ops you have 128 cuts. Delete the extra ones.

Now, in keyboard layout, assign a key (I use F7) for \'add edit\'. Then go to the beginning of your sequence. And do the key combination down arrow -F7 repeatedly. It\'s easy and in about 20 sec you\'ll have 100 cuts on your original clip.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

chris mccarville
on Apr 11, 2010 at 2:30:24 pm

Thanks! I think that will work.

~ guess how I made my user photo and win a prize! ~