FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fastest export option?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kasch
Fastest export option?
on Apr 10, 2010 at 9:46:47 pm

I need to export a file of my film for a sound designer...
Usually a pretty easy task but here's the catch:

The film is 4 hours long...AND it needs to be transferred across the web via FTP...AND it can't be so low-res that it's too blocky to reference.

Is there a way to encode a decent quality reference video that isn't gigs and gigs of space, that also won't take a whole day to encode? Is Quicktime Conversion or Compressor better for this task?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Fastest export option?
on Apr 10, 2010 at 10:00:40 pm

REALLY long running time...good compression....not too big. Sorry, that will take a WHILE. No, I don't have settings ideas, but I want you to know your expectations for how long it will take are not realistic.

If you had a rendering booster, like and Elgato Turbo.264, or Matrox CompressHD, that would make it take a lot less time.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 10, 2010 at 10:39:50 pm

I agree with Shane. Whatever you encode will not be fast.

I would suggest you export an hour at at time maximum.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 10, 2010 at 11:25:06 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "I would suggest you export an hour at at time maximum."

And send those chunks via ftp. The audio people should be able to work with the video in chunks. It also means the ftp doesn't have to transfer the whole project before any work can start at their end. Ditto with the OMF which will have to be split probably into 8 - 10 chunks to be under the 2 gig file size limitation.

H264 is going to give the best resolution to file size but it is slow to render. However, the ftp is the real bottleneck so I would suggest making self contained videos and have Compressor work in the background making the H264 files while you keep on working. ftp as each file is done. I hope you have a really big pipe to shunt all this data down. The audio will end up bigger than the video.

Of course talk to the audio people to make sure they can use H264 quicktimes and ask them what pixel aspect works for them.I have had keen editors deliver me 1 gig quicktimes only to discover they were the wrong pixel aspect and looked like postage stamps on screen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]