FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD FTP for Broadcast - 60 Seconds

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Koza
HD FTP for Broadcast - 60 Seconds
on Apr 9, 2010 at 10:43:36 pm

Hi,
I'm in the process of sending out my first HD commercial. It XDCAM footage, 60 seconds, 1920X1080. I was told to export out as Animation, million colors. But the file size for the 60 second spot is almost 6gigs! Its taking forever to FTP it, which isn't a big problem, but I was curious of the "normal" time involved, and of the file sizes involved in something like this, and if maybe I missed something. I am using FileZilla to FTP (is that maybe the slow issue?)

Lisa
(always learning something new, but lovin it :)

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Roth Weiss
Re: HD FTP for Broadcast - 60 Seconds
on Apr 9, 2010 at 11:24:07 pm

[Lisa Koza] " I was told to export out as Animation, million colors."

Who told you that Lisa? Evidently not a friend who wants you to get a start on your weekend.

The Animation codec is very 20th century and very inefficient. You should be using Pro Res for almost everything these days, it was designed to be very efficient in terms of file size and at the same time very high performance in terms of quality.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Michael Gissing
on Apr 10, 2010 at 12:37:22 am

Filezilla isn't the problem. I recommend this great little ftp client to everyone and I have it available as a free download on my ftp site.

Your final file for broadcast can be as simple as an mpeg2 transport stream which is relatively tiny. What matters most is who it is being sent to and the specs they need at their end. Why are you sending an old 8 bit uncompressed codec which (as David said) is so last century? I can't imagine anyone wanting that if they are either going to playout to tape or directly broadcast.

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on Apr 10, 2010 at 1:21:57 am

well, it's being sent to a place that will transfer the final product onto Beta D5 and DigiBeta downconversion. Does this still provide an issue with my export?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 10, 2010 at 1:48:23 am

Did that facility specify Animation codec? If so then go with that. If they have FCP then ProRes is best.

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on Apr 10, 2010 at 1:51:43 am

They are Avid, and they said to maybe now try MPEG-4, but won't we lose a lot of rez on that? Any suggestions on settings? I never really work in that, trying now in compressor to do a few test runs.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 10, 2010 at 2:25:25 am

MPEG 4 would absolutely be wrong. Pro Res can be decoded now (played not recorded) on any machine with the latest version of Quicktime, including Windows machines, so there is no reason why these Avid can't use Pro Res other than than that they don't know any better.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 10, 2010 at 2:34:33 am

[David Roth Weiss] "MPEG 4 would absolutely be wrong."

David is absolutely right! (Gee David, we can't seem to disagree on anything at the moment!)

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on Apr 10, 2010 at 2:58:20 am

Thank you so much David and Michael for all your help! I just did a ProRes 422 for progressive material (high quality), looks gorgeous and got it down from 6 gigs to 1.5! Still slow as molasses in FTP, but hopefully all will work well.

Thanks again, and happy weekend! :)

Lisa

Return to posts index

Greg Van Newkirk
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:08:21 pm

Michael,

Hello all I am new to this forum and seeking some help.

I am working on a TV show and it is a SNL skit based comedy. I have been delivering the show physically on DVD (burning it with Toast) which is a two hour drive from my home. The station has asked me if I can get the file size down to under 2GB to upload to their FTP. The final show when output from FCP with the H264 codec is about 7.5 GB. When I burn it on DVD with Toast the size is 1.6 GB which would be manageable. Can I make a disk image of the file from the DVD and upload that to their FTP?

What is the best way to get this file down to a manageable size for transfer. SHould I output this to MPEG-2 as suggested if the station can manage MPEG-2? I see also in your post that you suggest a different FTP client but I don't see where to get it from you post.

Any and all suggestions would be great and thanks.

Greg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]