FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone Mastering to XDCAM HD discs?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Pallenberg
Anyone Mastering to XDCAM HD discs?
on Apr 9, 2010 at 9:29:23 pm

We are looking at getting a Sony XDCAM HD (PDW-700 or 335) camera that records to disc not SxS.

My basic question is can you shoot on the disc edit native or prorez and output a completed show to the disc without huge HDV like conform times?

Lots of info on our goals & needs in this post if you want:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/99/859239

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 2GB ** 10.5.4 (Office / Photoshop)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 4GB ** 10.5.4 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

http://www.womeninboxes.com
The Documentary Film about Magic's Better Half.

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
Re: Anyone Mastering to XDCAM HD discs?
on Apr 10, 2010 at 2:06:06 am

[Harry Pallenberg] "We are looking at getting a Sony XDCAM HD (PDW-700 or 335) camera"

Harry
I have just just read your related post about renewal of equipment...

We have been using and experimenting with XD CAM and XD CAM HD422 for long period now and I can assure you that the XD CAM series provides exceptional work flows with Final Cut studio.

But first a note about the camcorders the 335 and 355 are using a half inch imager as the 700 and 800 are using two thirds of an inch imagers, the codec used by later is richer: "mpeg hd 422 @ 50mbps"

If the budget is limited I would choose the PDW 700 since you can use the lenses from your previous camera(s) and would gain from the HD422 codec.

The ingest and mastering can be done directly on optical disk using a non expensive drive unit the PDWU1.

You could still ouput via MXO2 or Kona card or even via MOTU V4HD depending on computer running FCP studio directly to any HD tape deck for screening purpose.

Eventually you could invest in a PDWF1600 but that can wait ( you can even I/O these deck via Ethernet )

Finally a real budget choice could be a XDCAM EX PMW-350 [ two third CCDs ] using pro flash card only for cinematography (8G mem card only to back up original media on cheap DL DVD ) and doing your outputs to optical ProDisk via a PDWU1 drive unit or the PDWF75 XDCAM HD deck .

Wow I hope this can help , we use all this stuff in our facilities, it's exiting to go tapeless for most of your post.

best regards

ZA P

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
Re: Anyone Mastering to XDCAM HD discs?
on Apr 10, 2010 at 5:08:56 am

Yes I'd prefer the 700 to the 335 - but the 15K +lens (or use our own for now) might be too rich four our blood. We would also be getting a new mac and Kona (3 or Leh?) card, and a deck that shows time code.

I imagine it will be exciting to go tapeless. Thanks - and if you care I posted more on the the other thread.

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 2GB ** 10.5.4 (Office / Photoshop)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 4GB ** 10.5.4 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

http://www.womeninboxes.com
The Documentary Film about Magic's Better Half.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]