FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with colors in a Photomontage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Towers
Issues with colors in a Photomontage
on Apr 8, 2010 at 6:55:52 pm

I searched briefly for my problem in the forums so if there is a similar post out there I apologize, I just did not know the best way to find my answer.

I made a photomontage in FCP 6 using jpegs that a friend gave me. Some were taken with a digital camera, others were scanned.

I just noticed that the sequence setting is in full HD, I don't know if that has any effect on my issue.

I exported the project through compressor to a h.264 to put on the internet and it looks fine. Then I exported it again to m2v to put on a dvd but this is when I encountered a problem. I don't know how to describe it the best thing I can come up with is that some of the colors on the pictures look as though they are flickering, or even moving. When my friends saw it she described it as distorting and I couldn't understand what she meant until I saw it.

I showed it to another editing professional and he thought that it had something to do with the saturation of the colors and if I just added a broadcast safe filter, that might fix the problem. I tried that, but nothing happened. I also tried a flicker filter.

It is most noticeable on reds and blues. Almost everyone's lips seem to have been effected.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Once again it is not happening in final cut it is only once I export and put in on DVD studio Pro do I notice anything.

If you need any more description, I will try my best.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Issues with colors in a Photomontage
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:29:28 am

This sounds like a case of oversaturated colors. It happens in mpeg2 -- which is viewed mostly on TV sets via DVD players -- but not in h.264, viewed mostly on computers.

You'll need to legalize the oversaturated colors in your montage. Start by opening up that Vectorscope and Waveform Monitor window which you have succesfully avoided using thus far.

As you look at the vectorscope, you'll notice that there are portions of the signal that go outside the circle. You'll have to use one or more of FCP's color correction effects to bring them inside the circle.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott Towers
Re: Issues with colors in a Photomontage
on Apr 12, 2010 at 2:27:17 am

I've done very limited color correction in Final Cut. What circle do I need to bring the spikes inside of, the very center circle?

I made an attempt at your suggestion using the three way color corrector. I decreased the saturation a bit for each photo and then tried to counterbalance the colors as much as I could without severely changing the color of the photo. A lot of the spiked colors were in the reds so I had to add some green but it made some of the photos lose skin tones and at times a bit green.

It worked a touch on some photos, but a lot of the photos are still affected. As I said I don't know a lot about color correction and didn't know if I need to change the whites, blacks, or mids. I varied it from picture to picture but could never really get the spikes within the very center circle.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]