FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing with different Quicktime frame sizes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kasch
Editing with different Quicktime frame sizes
on Apr 8, 2010 at 6:30:50 pm

So I'm doing a documentary in HD...and I have an animator giving me 3D animated photos that he's exported to Quicktime .mov files. Problem is, they are different frame sizes (1340x900, 1320x2000, etc) and when I put them on the timeline, it refuses to display the whole image. I have tried scaling and distort tools, but it only displays in it's cropped state. What can I do to fix this?

On a side note, I'm using regular JPEG images too...and some of them have some slight strobing when I do moves on them. Is there a recommended filter to put on some of these so they'll look better?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRonde
Re: Editing with different Quicktime frame sizes
on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:17:36 pm

[Andrew Kasch] "What can I do to fix this? "

Right now, you're getting precisely what you deserve.

Since the animator's doing the work for YOU, how about tossing the poor guy a bone and giving him a little GUIDANCE, huh?

Give him some delivery specs, for cryin' out loud! Horizontal and vertical resolution! Pixel aspect ratio! Frame rate! Codec!

What do you expect from the guy, clairvoyance? Miracles or something?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Kasch
on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:29:52 pm

Thanks for the condescending reply.

I actually did give the guy frame rate and codec information thinking that would be just fine, but that obviously wasn't enough. So what should he or I be doing to make this work?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:44:19 pm

If the animator is not complying with the spec you gave them, either find another animator, or lean on the one you have until they get it right.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:47:37 pm

[Andrew Kasch] "So what should he or I be doing to make this work?"

HE should be breaking his neck to give you precisely what you need, cursing you all the all the time while he compensates for YOUR lack of thoroughness.

You screwed up. You screwed up ROYALLY. You have to face the music.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andrew Kasch
on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:53:33 pm

Anyone with any HELPFUL information that isn't some surly TV station guy?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:39:42 pm

What 'type' of HD are you working with? Have you asked the animator to give you files that match the size and frame rate that you are working in? If it is impossible for the animator to give you the files in the correct size you could use Compressor to transcode the animations into what you need.

W/regards to your Q about the JPEG images, are you watching this on your computer monitor or on a broadcast monitor?

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kasch
on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:42:46 pm

Thanks for the professional response.

I'm working with 1080p24 and that's the specs the animator has been delivering to me.

As for broadcast monitor...no, I don't own one. I'm just going off my HD computer screen.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:19:30 pm

[Andrew Kasch] "I'm working with 1080p24 and that's the specs the animator has been delivering to me.
"

No...he isn't. He is giving you...quote...

"Problem is, they are different frame sizes (1340x900, 1320x2000, etc)"

Those are NOT 1080 frame sizes. 1920x1080...period. Tell the animator to get the frame size right. That's what you need to do. He gave you something wrong, he needs to fix it. THEY screwed up.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:43:53 am

[Shane Ross] "THEY screwed up."

Perhaps so. But from the tenor of the first couple of messages by the original poster, I've come to the conclusion that this guy would have a very tough time finding a significant part of his anatomy in the dark using both hands.

I also checked a few of the guy's posts over the past six months, and the impression I get is that he's an Aspiring Film Maker Who Thinks If You Have A Laptop And An HDV Camera You Have The World And Who Is Oblivious To The Pitfalls Of The Trade Until They're Stumbled Upon.

I don't know if I'd lay all the blame on the animator. Garbage in, garbage out, y'know....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andrew Kasch
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:27:06 am

And I've come to the conclusion that over-the-hill TV station douchebags in bumfuck Iowa don't have much free time or actual advice to give beyond common internet trolling.

Thanks to the REAL professionals on the board for helping me out with this glitch. Things are going smoothly now.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kasch
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:42:14 am

Thanks, Shane for your professional response. Final Cut's settings don't always work with the kind of After Effects animations I'm getting. Problem solved.

I've also come to the conclusion that the so-called "post" people out in Iowa don't know much beyond their daily corn-poke.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]