FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hey Walter....CC question for ya

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Harb
Hey Walter....CC question for ya
on Apr 8, 2010 at 6:27:00 pm

Hey Walter,

Figured you were the guy to ask this for a fast answer as I researched and saw you do this a lot out of your post house. I just finished a project that is 23.98 Pro Res 444 1080x1920. I am at the point of sending out to get the closed captioning done at a CC house in LA. I need to create not only 23.98 CC files but also 29.97 CC files for the downconverts that the label is asking for. The CC house is asking for a 29.97 TC burn so that they can do the CC for the SD versions. What is the best way to do this? Im sure you have done this a million times. Ive send the 23.98 w TC burn in, but should I use Compressor to create 29.97 versions of my video, bring that into FC and create a TC reader on top of that? Is there a better way?

thks a lot

Paul

Paul Harb-Producer/Director
Wrong Beach Multimedia
Dual 3.2 GHz Quad/10.5.5/8GIG RAM/FCP 6.0.4/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Hey Walter....CC question for ya
on Apr 8, 2010 at 6:44:42 pm

Actually, we never work in 23.98 for this very reason. Whenever something is shot in 720 / 23.98 we simply bring it in at 59.94 so we're already in the 29.97 mode for editing.

Gary Adcock or Shane Ross would probably be your best bets to answer this question in the most efficient manner. I would probably use the Kona 3 on output to make the conversion, but they would probably have better answers for you.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Paul Harb
Maybe Shane Ross or Gary Adcock can chime in here?
on Apr 8, 2010 at 6:56:41 pm

Ahh....well its already done at this point, and was shot and edited at 23.98 1080P Pro Res 444, but I hear ya....quite the learning experience for me as a director on this one. Maybe Shane or Gary can chime in here.

thks for the response Walter.

Paul Harb

Wrong Beach Multimedia

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:15:10 pm

[Paul Harb] "should I use Compressor to create 29.97 versions of my video, bring that into FC and create a TC reader on top of that? Is there a better way? "

Paul you got lucky, its NAB time and I am not going to be replying to too many posts over the next 10 days.

NO not compressor. Compressor was not designed to deliver broadcast corrected pulldown IMHO.

I would have used my Kona to add the pulldown + TC so that it is done in hardware for SMPTE accurate conversion.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Paul Harb
on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:34:50 pm

I will do that! Thk u very much Gary for taking the time, wish I was out there enjoying NAB as well...have fun.

Paul Harb

Wrong Beach Multimedia

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:52:49 pm

[gary adcock] "I would have used my Kona to add the pulldown + TC so that it is done in hardware for SMPTE accurate conversion."

Cool. Good to know my initial instinct was the right idea.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:14:20 pm

Well, the CC people don't need anything pretty, just 29.97 timecode. I just exported the 23.98 file, reimported, dropped it into a 29.97 sequence, added TC, rendered, and exported again. It looked jumpy as hell, but got accurate timing. When I output the masters, I output 1080psf 23.98 to HDCAM, and 29.97 to Digibeta. Then dubbed with CC embedded at a post house.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:26:01 pm

[Shane Ross] "ell, the CC people don't need anything pretty, just 29.97 timecode. I just exported the 23.98 file, reimported, dropped it into a 29.97 sequence, added TC, rendered, and exported again."

Shane
remind me while you are at NAB and I will show you a Hardware way to do this without rendering.

for everyone else=
Open AJA's VTR Exchange app, then use it to open your 23.98 clips, in the Output window, check the "output as 29.97" checkbox at the bottom and then turn on the TC burn in the Kona Control Panel.

all happens in one step direct to tape.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 9, 2010 at 4:05:02 pm

Gary...I'm talking about making DVDs or QT movies to send to closed caption places. Outputting to tape I have ZERO issues with adding pulldown. I'm talking avoiding tape completely. I guess I could output to a DVD that way too...from the card. That works better, actually. Faster. cleaner.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rob Tinworth
on Apr 11, 2010 at 1:24:16 pm

I use a slightly roundabout method of addressing a similar problem - 23.98 cut with a 59.94 delivery.

I stick a BITC filter on my 23.98 version and then output a composite signal with pulldown to a DV deck and record the feed to my laptop. That gives me a 29.97 file that I can then stick another BITC filter on. I label the two BITC filters 24 and 30. That creates one file that has both timecodes on it. It's useful as people create graphics/lower thirds lists that need the different versions, and it's also one last fail-safe check that I've got the timecode shift from 23.98 non-drop to 29.97 drop frame right and I'm delivering the correct runtime.

Rob Tinworth
http://www.1021.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]