FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to use footage HVX 200 (PAL) 720p 25 frames with Cannon 5D 1080p 30 frames?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benedito Moreira Neto
How to use footage HVX 200 (PAL) 720p 25 frames with Cannon 5D 1080p 30 frames?
on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:27:41 am

I am making a doc. My first material was recorded with an HVX 720p (PAL) 25 frames with Lethus adaptator and the second part was recorded with Cannon 5D 1080p using 30 frames. When I put the 5D image at the Final Cut I loose some frames and I am having problems with that. Could someone help me to find the best way to work these footage together in the same timeline at the Final Cut? How am I supposed to conform that? I realy need some help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to use footage HVX 200 (PAL) 720p 25 frames with Cannon 5D 1080p 30 frames?
on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:55:56 am

Yeah you do. Shooting not only different formats, aspect ratios and frame rates. What were you thinking? Why did you do this? Just to make your life difficult? Well, you succeeded.

You need to work in a common format. And the fact that you are working with two different STANDARDS (PAL, NTSC) certainly doesn't help things.

Settle on the standard you need...the frame rate. PAL or NTSC. Now, settle on the aspect ratio you want. 1080 or 720. Then convert ALL OF THE footage that is different, TO that format. If you started with DVCPRO HD 720p 25fps, then you will need to convert every single lick of the Canon 1080p30 footage to match that. Converting the frame size, frame rate, and codec in one fell swoop. Use Compressor to do this, and be prepared to wait for days for this to finish. You will have to do smaller test conversions to see how things work out...how they look..before you convert everything.

While waiting, you can ponder why you thought this was a bright idea to begin with. Yes, I am being snarky. Because people shoot first and ask questions later more often than not, and then paint themselves into a corner, and then get angry that the solution isn't easy, or fast, or pretty. You only have yourself to blame for jumping horses mid stream.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: How to use footage HVX 200 (PAL) 720p 25 frames with Cannon 5D 1080p 30 frames?
on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:56:24 am

And be happy Shane replied before i did, cause he answered in a way more polite way than i would have...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Benedito Moreira Neto
on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:18:16 pm

Hey Shane, first off all i want to thank you for your patient in answering me. Now I am going to think about wath to do with the footage. You realy have helped me. I will write you later to tell you how am I managing to fix it.

Thank you so much!

Bene

Return to posts index

ewa stern
on May 27, 2010 at 2:13:38 pm

Hi Shane,

you are totally right that one should think, plan first then shoot.
But what would you do in this situation, we are making a film for an artist about... stick climbing (never mind) we will use out Canon XH1 which is 1080p25, we need a helm camera for a climber but the only one we can get here in Austria are 1080p30, at least both of them are HDV.
But what to do?
best regards
ewa stern

ewa stern
http://www.castyourart.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 27, 2010 at 5:02:31 pm

How can the only cameras you have access to in Austria as helmet cameras NOT be PAL? Seems silly.

Two strikes in this plan. You need to convert NTSC to PAL, and you are shooting HDV which is long GOP. So you need to first convert the HDV to ProRes, then convert it to PAL. Do the first conversion, then use the Nattress Standards Converter at nattress.com.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]