FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long clips failing from Sony AVCHD in FCP 6.06

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aidan Clayton
Long clips failing from Sony AVCHD in FCP 6.06
on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:01:12 pm

Hi, could anyone tell me why clips approaching 20 minutes in FCP 6.06 coming off the card of my Sony HXR-NX5E fail after half the transfer? it has happened numerous times and I have to chop it up to pull it in. I'm a novice with this cam & FCP so please excuse me if I'm doing something stupid.

Regards

Aidan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Long clips failing from Sony AVCHD in FCP 6.06
on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:22:18 am

No! They don't fail...they just take a LONG time. I thought this too, but I too have footage from the NX camera, and I too see this happening. The short clips transfer fine, but the long clips, they take FOREVER. The first half goes quickly, but the last half... oh brother! I have had each of the 20-30 min clips take between 4 and 6 hours to transfer. But, they transferred.

Well, I am using FCP 7.0.1...but I'll wager it'd be the same for 6.0.6.

Let one go...let it go for a long time. Position the cursor at the point where you think it stalls, then come back in an hour and see that it has progressed ever so slightly.

And I thought about using ClipWrap, but it fails completely. No picture, only audio. Too new of a format...incompatible with ClipWrap according to the FAQ on this.

Yeah, something that should have taken me a day to ingest and log and organize, has taken two. Well, I am still importing. Day 3. But I am working while it imports. Pain in the ass!

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aidan Clayton
on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:03:39 am

Hi, don't take this the wrong way but I'm glad someone else feels my pain.
If it's longer than ten minutes in 6.06
it fails after import even if you leave it for hours etc to finish. I too have placed the cursor over the bar to watch it inch past!
I now have a newer more pressing issue having purchased two Sandisk extreme 32 gb cards. The Mac won't even read them on the desktop let alone FCP. On insert it gives me the option to initialize , ignore or eject. The cam works fine with them. I'm running SL with all updates. Any ideas?

Regards
Aidan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 8, 2010 at 3:03:53 pm

Sorry, no. I don't use cards of that size...

Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 8, 2010 at 3:04:54 pm

Sorry, no. I don't use cards of that size...

Shane

Return to posts index

Aidan Clayton
on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:22:58 pm

Just for your future info, I sorted it. I bought a new Sandisk card reader that supports cards up to 34mbs
and the thing mounted straight away and imports are much quicker.

Return to posts index

Kristian Stevenson
on May 13, 2010 at 4:11:00 pm

I am also feeling your griefs. I am using FCE 4.01 and trying to import AVCHD clips from a Sony HXR-NX5U. I have tried importing from Sony's HXR-FMU128 memory unit and a sandisk SDHC card. It is behaving just as you describe. I have watched the activity monitor during an import and its interesting the watch the CPU load. It goes down as the clip progresses. To me, this is why the imports slow down to almost nothing.

I am using a 27" iMac with the i7 processor and it is taking a 20 minute clip over an hour just to get 3/4 the way imported. Unacceptable. I recently tried footage from a Canon HF20 and got different results. I had it set on the same resolution and bitrate as the sony and a 20 minute clip from it only took 17 minutes to import.

It seems like the issue lies with the footage from the sony. I have tried contacting apple, sony, and b&h photo (where I bought the sony) and no one has been any help. They all gave me lame answers just to get me off the phone.

just thought I would throw in my findings.
Kristian

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 13, 2010 at 4:26:21 pm

The issue is obviously with Sony...as you mentioned. So why are you contacting Apple (the software that works with OTHER AVCHD formats just fine) and B&H (the company that just sells the gear)? They don't have ANYTHING to do with how Sony designs things. Contact SONY.

Shane

Return to posts index

Kristian Stevenson
on May 13, 2010 at 4:54:26 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear. I contacted apple and B&H before I discovered the source of the issue. Sony told me as long as it is importing then it is working normally. Clearly this is not normal. I have even tried setting the camera to the lowest 720p setting. Same results.

Return to posts index

Trey Campbell
on Sep 10, 2010 at 5:25:34 pm

I too am having this problem with the Flash Drive. I wonder if the fact that it is a USB connection and not a firewire has something to do with it or if it is just Sony's proprietary file system?

Return to posts index

Kristian Stevenson
on Sep 10, 2010 at 8:17:20 pm

From what I have seen, I am blaming it on some form of Sony Propriety in the file system. I tried a canon HD camcorder (flash based, USB connection) set on the exact same settings as the sony and it imported almost in double time which is pretty good for the machine I was using. Thumbs down on sony AVCHD.

Kristian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]