FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing Footage from Sony Z1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Pettigrew
Capturing Footage from Sony Z1
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:07:26 pm

I am attempting to capture'DV SP' footage from a Sony Z1 camera, with a mini DV not HDV tape, into Final Cut Pro 6. I am using easy setup 'DV PAL anamorphic as' I am in UK and recorded footage with DV Record Wide turned to 'On' in Z1 Menu. I am attempting to capture tape by tape as whole video files and am coming up against various difficulties such as:

Frame Rate of captured video is awful, there are jumps, black spots etc. This is not just in preview or canvas/slug playback, but in the playback of the digitalized Video file in Quicktime.

There are problems with Timecode as well.

I was just wondering if anyone could help or just point me in the direction of an easy to follow point by point guide to capturing DV SP anamorphic footage from a Sony Z1 into Final Cut Pro.

Many Thanks Guys.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: Capturing Footage from Sony Z1
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:33:05 pm

[Robert Pettigrew] "Frame Rate of captured video is awful, there are jumps, black spots etc. This is not just in preview or canvas/slug playback, but in the playback of the digitalized Video file in Quicktime.

There are problems with Timecode as well. "

Hmmm.... I see several thing here that may be your problem.

First, it sounds like you may have a clogged head on you camera. Or the camera is not setup properly.

Secondly, and I don't know why Sony does this, but did you setup the timecode properly before you shot your video. I say this because Sony's default for timecode is Auto. This was a stupid feature to put on a prosumer camcorder. It needs to be set to DF or NDF, not Auto.

On top of all this, DV or SD video doesn't do anamorphic video real well at all. Its much better to shoot in HD and down-convert on the fly to DV if need. By the way, the video will look ten times better if you do.

You'll have to select an anamorphic PAL DV capture settings to capture this without issues, and then, you'll still battle with it a little on the edit.

Can you describe exactly how your video looks? Is it full screen and stretched? If so, you'll have to set each clip in your Browser to anamorphic.

I hope this helps...

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]