FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uncompressed out of Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Franklin
Uncompressed out of Final Cut
on Apr 6, 2010 at 9:26:10 pm

I've read very similar posts on this forum but None have given me quite the answer im looking for. I am basically trying to find the best procedure for exporting out a Uncompressed quicktime or Apple ProRes (HQ) out of Final Cut.

There are 2 ways of doing this.
A. Exporting out a Quicktime Movie from Final Cut. Now when needing to use this quicktime in another application (DVD studio Pro or After effect) this is what i generally use with no problems. But if im needing some short of FINAL quicktime (again being uncompressed or Apple Pro Res HQ) is this the best choice? Also I run into the issue of the file being a FINAL CUT movie not a Quicktime so it could not be opened up if you dont have FCP.

B. We have exporting a Quicktime conversion. I generally use this for making a compressed file for web or etc... Now i know there are uncompressed settings in this but are they reliable? I read in many forums that its not, and that even though it say uncompressed you are compressing the files. I also run into issues with keeping the same frame size when using this option.

So what is really the best way of rending a Uncompressed file out of Final Cut.... that can be read on a machine that may or may not have Final Cut Pro?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Uncompressed out of Final Cut
on Apr 6, 2010 at 9:43:29 pm

You need to export to h.264.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 6, 2010 at 9:51:36 pm

not if he is bringing the files into DVDSP or AE.

Return to posts index

William Franklin
on Apr 6, 2010 at 10:05:48 pm

No my goal is to have a final UNCOMPRESSED file.
It won't necessarily be used for AE or to create DVD's, but my primary goal is to create a Quicktime that is uncompressed (or very close to that, like AppleProRes) but can be used for MAstering and distribution and wont have to worry so much about compatibility.
i.e. a self contained movie out of Final Cut can only be opened if you have Final Cut.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 6, 2010 at 10:07:05 pm

What is the codec you are editing in. There is no magic in exporting a high res then what you are editing, but there are some reasons for doing so, going to AE is one of them because it will hold up through the process. But if you are editing HDV and then encoding m2v there is no benefit to go to ProRes unless you are going to do something to the up, like Natress's up-sampling of the chroma.

The different between Export as Quicktime and Export as Quicktime Conversion is the first is limited to your easy set ups with no way to change the settings of them. with Conversion you can make changes, both give you ways to mess things up if you choose incorrectly.

Also the is no such things as a FCP only movie, that just gets a tag to open up in FCP by default but if the codec is installed it plays back in anything that handles QT. Of course DVCProHD and ProRes are FCP only codecs so unless you have installed FCP you cannot play back those codecs. (you can now get a play only ProRes codec for Mac or PC)

Return to posts index

William Franklin
on Apr 6, 2010 at 10:21:39 pm

Well this is something that I am always working with but here is my scenerio right now..

I am working in a DVCPRO HD 720p sequence. I need to render out a Uncompressed quicktime of this sequence to give to someone else. I have no idea what this person is doing with it but they requested uncompressed.

Not sure what my best option would be..

A. Just do a Quicktime Movie self contained current settings quicktime.
B. Do a Quicktime movie self contained but choose Uncompressed.
C. In Quicktime conversion export out a Uncompressed

If i choose A. or B Im not sure if they will be able to open up the Final Cut Movie it will make.
and B and C options are both HUGE files (i might end up doing Apple ProRes if thats the case).

Most important thing is i need to keep this HD and Uncompressed.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 6, 2010 at 10:40:08 pm

You should be able to use Export using Quicktime movie, chance the Setting to Uncompressed it needs to be full raster 1280x720 and make you also keep the correct frame rate. This will be able to be handled by just anything that can handle uncompressed HD footage, QT, AE or any other QT based app will handle the file. Of course the file will be a lot bigger than the DVCProHD clips about 10x bigger.

Return to posts index

William Franklin
on Apr 6, 2010 at 11:02:48 pm

Yes this is the way i was thinking i should do this....however

The way you are walking me through this, is to do Quicktime Movie, but once in that mode you dont really have that many options under Uncompressed... (In fact it only reads NTSC on uncompressed which i dont want).
I do have Blackmagic so i was thinking of doing Blackmagic HDTV 720p60 - 8 Bit. But is this uncompressed?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:55:22 am

Not to be smart but a little testing will give you the answers you seek.

Try Blackmagic HDTV 720p60 - 8 Bit.
Bring it back into FCP and what is it telling you. What compressor? (should be uncompressed) What Vid Rate? (should be 59.94 fps) Frame Size should be 1280x720, if it is not then do the export using QT conversion.

Return to posts index

Mike Schrengohst
on Apr 7, 2010 at 1:36:16 pm

You really need to know how the other person will use the video.

How long is the file? If they are doing some post work on it
then what about a tiff file sequence?

I export uncompressed 10 bit QT files when I need to bring an HD spot
to an AVID post house to lay-off to HDCAM. Their system can read the file
but they still have to convert it to an AVID file.

Soon this post house will have a FCP HD suite and I won't have to do that!

Return to posts index

Scott Philbrook
on Sep 26, 2010 at 10:26:12 pm

I have a quick related question.

I'm running FCP7. I have a sequence that has 1920x1080 media as well as 1280x720, all at ProRes422(LT). I have finished a :30 second spot for my client and they have asked me to export an Uncompressed version for them so they can run it through color and whatever else before it goes out for broadcast.

When I export the sequence Uncompressed, the resulting file is 720x486. My sequence settings are 1920x1080 in FCP.

What am I doing wrong? How can I deliver an uncompressed 1920x1080 file from this sequence? I know I can use Quicktime conversion, but my bigger question is why is this one defaulting to 720? And also if I use QT conversion am I unnecessarily crunching the file somehow?

They have told me they finish in 720 anyway, but I want to understand what's happening here.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]