FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red and the new Mac Pros

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Warner
Red and the new Mac Pros
on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:07:33 pm

Long time editor but Mac newbie.

What is the minimum specs for the Mac Pro 8-core Nehalem models so that it would handle 4k Red files without frustration?

Also...would you these extras be sufficient

12gb ram
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
G-Tech G-SPEED eS 8TB array with PCIe card

Lee

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Red and the new Mac Pros
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:07:02 pm

Probably any Mac Pro would "handle" RED workflows... The faster the computer's CPU though, the faster the transcodes, renders etc will be... if you want to finish in 4k in Color you'll want the faster CPU's but if you intend to deliver HD, it's not as critical don't think.

RAM will help with running multiple apps at the same time for sure, and that external array you have spec'd is just OK... I'd wait until NAB next week to see what the drive folk have in store. THey are going to show new products no doubt. For example there are some blistering new arrays being shown by CalDigit I know...

The video card you 've spec'd is likely the best choice too.

Maybe if you posted more about what your intended delivery format will be we can suggest more...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:29:09 pm

For a 4K workflow, I would consider the "extras" you listed as requirements.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Apr 6, 2010 at 9:49:17 pm

For 4k you'll want the fastest drives you can buy. If they can't handle the bandwidth, the fastest computer will still choke.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]