FORUMS: list search recent posts

Middle of edit, Studio 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Koza
Middle of edit, Studio 3
on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:36:44 pm

Is it a horrible idea to install Studio 3 while in the middle of 3 small edits? Even if I do a time machine backup?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Middle of edit, Studio 3
on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:43:41 pm

Do this.

Get a new hard drive (if you have a Tower). Install the OS and then the new studio on that hard drive. Keep the OLD OS and applications on the old hard drive.

Boot to that new hard drive and new FCS. DUPLICATE YOUR PROJECT FILES. Then work on the duplicates. If stuff isn't working, you can always revert back to the older OS and project files.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:46:12 pm

I'm on a mac book pro, with a 1Tb G-drive (non-raid) external.....I can't install my OS on that, right?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:51:32 pm

Well, you could, but I'm guessing that you use that as a scratch drive.

Get another drive. Firewire. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your current working system to it.

Then erase your hard drive, install the fresh OS and fresh copy of FCS3. Now you have your shiny new OS on your laptop, and the good old working on an external. If things don't work out, then erase the new OS and clone back the working one.

OR...with that new drive, partition it into TWO, so that you can back up the old OS, back up the NEW OS and FCS3, so that all the work you put into installing the new one doesn't go to waste when you revert back to the old one to finish the work. When the work is done, clone back the new OS and FCS.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on Apr 6, 2010 at 12:02:03 am

fresh and clean sounds yummy, considering I've got 2 gigs left on my 169 size harddrive on this laptop. :)

I'll give it a whirl. thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 6, 2010 at 12:36:57 am

[Lisa Koza] "I've got 2 gigs left on my 169 size harddrive on this laptop. :)"

Yikes, no place for a smiley face after a comment like that. Running a drive down to that level of spare is asking for performance trouble. Backup some files and clear some space.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]