FORUMS: list search recent posts

semi-OT - Best asset management tool

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Gish
semi-OT - Best asset management tool
on Apr 5, 2010 at 10:15:36 pm

Anyone out there know of a solid asset management tools with the following features:

• User review/approval system
  • Proxy video encoding
  • Web based access
  • Preferably based on a standard (Dublin Core?)
  • Geo-location integration
  • Open Source
  • Easy to use
  • Support lots of formats (all sorts of stills, pdfs, all of the ffmpeg supported video formats, etc)

I'm posting on here primarily because we need to archive and catalog a lot of video and I'm sure that someone else has run into the issue before... From what I've seen Final Cut Server doesn't really handle many of the features we need...

I've looked at several including ResourceSpace and CollectiveAccess. They're both great systems in their own way - I'm just curious if anyone has any better ideas.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: semi-OT - Best asset management tool
on Apr 6, 2010 at 1:12:57 am

I'm using CATDv, but it doesn't do all you request, and it's certainly not open source.
Both Aperture and Lightroom will now read video files, but there's no proxy creation (there is in CATDv). Bridge is another one, but won't give all you're asking for. Nor will Final Cut Server as far as I can see.
Anyone?

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:59:53 am

Good luck finding something that meets ALL of your requirements.

Meanwhile, check out CATdv. It fulfills MOST of needs.

Mark

Return to posts index

Shaun Gish
on Apr 6, 2010 at 12:07:28 pm

It would be ideal to find an open source solution that met 50% of those requirements and then I can develop from that point forward (we're primarily a software development shop)... the problem is that nothing seems to... and if they do, they aren't based on any sort of metadata standard (dublin core)

CatDV appears to be a pretty cool app... but it doesn't really accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish - mass archival with an easy web interface for review/asset search. It looks like I'd either have to build most of the web interface (using the MySQL version) or I'd have to publish html based pages for everything and that's not practical... Going the MySQL route is an option... but that appears to only be an option with one of the more expensive server based systems...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 6, 2010 at 1:30:26 pm

[Shaun Gish] "CatDV appears to be a pretty cool app... but it doesn't really accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish - mass archival with an easy web interface for review/asset search."

Have you talked to the guys at Cat-DV at all before making your assumptions and decision? I didn't realize all the various ways the tool could be used until I started a dialogue with them. We will be implimenting Cat-DV in the very near future for our facility because it's easy to use and as of right now it is the best asset management tool on the market that I have seen.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:11:13 pm

[Shaun Gish] "but it doesn't really accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish - mass archival with an easy web interface for review/asset search"

Shaun,

You're making some sweeping assumptions there...
There's a CATdv forum here on the cow. Contact Bryson. I think you'll have a rather interesting
conversation.

Mark

Return to posts index

Jamie Pickell
on Apr 6, 2010 at 1:39:28 pm

I'm not directly involved with the media asset management at our facility, but it is my understanding that we will be rolling out Blue Order sometime soon. You can check out their website here:
http://www.blue-order.com/

Also, we use Pilotware for managing EDLs and assets on ingest. If you have to create annotated EDLs, it is a must-have. My APs swear by it.

Cheers,
Jamie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]