FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encode/color problems - FCP/Magic Bullet Looks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Earith
Encode/color problems - FCP/Magic Bullet Looks
on Apr 3, 2010 at 4:45:40 pm

hi,

I've edited a short film from super 8 source material (transferred to dv) in FCP. I've used Magic Bullet Looks to grade the footage. It all looks great from within the canvas and MB looks builder.

But...

When I export the sequence as a quicktime movie (PAL CCIR 601 720x576px) the colors completely change (when viewed in quicktime player) and the quality of the image seems to be much softer with less detail. I've attached an image of the difference between the MB 'Look' and the rendered footage in quicktime player 10.0. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Encode/color problems - FCP/Magic Bullet Looks
on Apr 3, 2010 at 6:11:57 pm

do a send to Compressor and try the compression adjustments to color there. You'll be able to see them in the preview monitor.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Encode/color problems - FCP/Magic Bullet Looks
on Apr 3, 2010 at 7:05:05 pm

One thing you have not listed is if your footage is interlaced or progressive. Since it is from film you should be working with progressive files and sequences.

Either are color accurate ways of displaying video. If you are wanting an exact look you must be viewing the video on a calibrated external monitor. FCP Canvas are the lest accurate of the bunch. FCP7 corrects for gamma now to give you a better image but it not accurate. Then QT does not display broadcast type codecs very well, it does much better with delivery codecs like H264. Once again to judge quality it must be done on an external monitor.

Also part of the problem is that DV is one of the worse codec to use in color correcting. In PAL it is 4:2:0. It is highly compressed and very limited color space. When you CC and render they entire movie goes through another round of compression. It would be better to do an online version of your film with either Uncompressed or ProRes 4:2:2 or even DVCPro50. All 3 will hold up through the CC process and exporting much better.

- Our software is idiot-proof, if you bought it it proves you are an idiot. - Dilbert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]