FORUMS: list search recent posts

missing alpha channel

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthony Faulkner
missing alpha channel
on Apr 2, 2010 at 6:05:52 am

can someone please help me with this frustrating problem.

when I cut out photos from photoshop to be used in composite projects, randomly they will be missing an alpha channel.
I save them with the transparency. I have tried a variety of color profiles. nothing seems to give me the alpha channel back in FCP... besides adding a color key. something i hate doing.

it is random so I cannot find reason as to why this is happening. If anyone knows I would be greatful to here any suggestions.

FCP 6.06
CS4
I might add that I am usually converting the original jpgs into tiff files.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: missing alpha channel
on Apr 2, 2010 at 10:23:47 am

The files have to be in 8-bit RGB and saved on a Mac. Have you gone to the alpha channel property for the files that don't work and checked what it's set to?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on Apr 5, 2010 at 12:11:38 am

once imported into FCP the file has no alpha channel. I'm not sure where to find that bit rate data for the photo?

The files are all saved on a mac using apple RGB color profile? When i save the same file as a psd file and use that the alpha channel is there.
it is only the tiff that seems to randomly drop it...

anyway thanks for your suggestion.

Return to posts index

Stewart Fiori
on Apr 2, 2010 at 11:44:11 am

Are there any other elements in those PS files? Smart Objects? I've found those to not migrate to FCP. Usually object effects are the problem with Smart Objects, but you never know.

Definitely try to save them on a Mac.

Stewart Fiori
Croma-Video Inc.
http://cromavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]