FORUMS: list search recent posts

24p and 30p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Cote
24p and 30p
on Apr 1, 2010 at 5:32:53 pm

I shot a doc in 24p and 30p on a DVX100 (NOTHING HD about it). I have a few questions I would like CLEAR answers to (having searched all over I am just getting further confused).

First of all can I edit this in the same timeline?

If not can I convert the 30p to 24p while retaining the audio?

I am currently working on a 29.97 timeline and BOTH the 30p and 24p look just terrible, all lined and weird, but its not interlacing. I am under the impression that only the 24p should look bad on the 29.97 timeline, not both? and what could this possibly be(It looks fine on my tapes and on my preview)?

Any other solutions to the problem of the 2 frame rates?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 24p and 30p
on Apr 1, 2010 at 7:24:41 pm

[Emily Cote] "First of all can I edit this in the same timeline?"

SURE. Unless you shot 24pA, in which case it was meant to have pulldown removed. But thinking about it, it should look fine at 29.97. BOTH formats are recorded as 29.97 to tape, so just capture both at 29.97 and there you go.

OR, did you capture the 24p as 23.98? If so, go back and recapture without removing pulldown. FCP does a HORRID job of mixing frame rates on the timeline. VERY bad.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Emily Cote
on Apr 1, 2010 at 7:36:54 pm

Here is an image of what I'm experiencing over ALL my footage! WHY?! I've tried everything and if it doesn't matter how 24p and 30p are on the same timeline i don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I've tried all kinds of capture settings, different decks, different cameras, etc. ITS ALL OVER ALL MY FOOTAGE.
You can see it best along what should be straight lines on the radio. Instead they are all jagged? But not interlaced? Someone suggested low resolution? But my capture settings I've gone through a zillion times, even used different final cut suites, I can not make this go away.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 1, 2010 at 8:18:44 pm

I can't see anything....

Shane

Return to posts index

Emily Cote
on Apr 1, 2010 at 8:19:23 pm

haha sorry! here's the image!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 1, 2010 at 8:30:25 pm

That's DV...and how it looks on your COMPUTER monitor. That isn't how it really looks, and you need to view it on an external monitor to see what it really looks like. Never ever ever judge the quality of the footage on your computer monitor. It's isn't designed to show you what you have.

Firewire out to a DV device, then connect that to a TV or monitor.

Shane

Return to posts index

Emily Cote
on Apr 1, 2010 at 8:33:23 pm

how come in my preview screen before I capture it looks fine?
Thanks for all your help I know I'm a bit naive!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 1, 2010 at 8:41:58 pm

You don't judge by that either. It is a preview screen. YOu mean the log and CAPTURE window, or your viewfinder?

Never judge the quality of the footage by the computer monitor. Even if it looks fine. Don't do it. Ever.

Unless...you have a Matrox MXO and ACD or Dell, or other DVI monitor. But that is for HD only, and I only post it to qualify my NEVER EVER statement. Nothing for you to worry about in SD land. Move along...

Shane

Return to posts index

Emily Cote
on Apr 1, 2010 at 8:53:56 pm

Its my log and capture window, where the play button is under it. it looks fine coming through there before I capture. I've NEVER had this problem before. I use a macbook pro (if that makes a difference). I've shot 24p on the same camera before, same with 30p. And i've never experienced this, it looks exactly the same when I export it. I'll try hooking up to a monitor thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]