FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP with AJA Kona 3 or Matrox MX02

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Karczewski
FCP with AJA Kona 3 or Matrox MX02
on Apr 1, 2010 at 12:49:21 pm

Hi All,

I've spent the last couple of weeks pouring over creative cow forums to gather information on building a new system/suite. Primarily my question concerns two things;

1) The viability of getting a AJA Kona 3 LHi card Vs Matrox MX02 LE (with Max...)...in terms of how much functionality each has with FCP and Apple Color

2) Future Proof/upgradability.

Basically i'm going to buy the 2010 Mac Pro when it comes out, load it up with a 2nd HDD set that up as a RAID 1 for OS protection etc then swap out the the RAM for either 8GB or 16GB of RAM from OWC. And while i'm shopping at OWC i'll purchase a 8TB Mercury Pro Elite-AL RAID 5/10 system.

Thats the plan...however what i will be doing is purchasing two separate LCD monitors to connect to the Mac Pro...

On the one hand if i were to get a Matrox MX02, one of my LCD monitors would essentially (but in no way perfect) be a decent color grading monitor...something i do a lot of...

As i understand it both the AJA Kona 3 and Kona LHi, do not offer the "grading" function available with the Matrox MX02. However they do offer far more options in terms of capturing and cross conversions...

I mainly work with DV, HDV, XDCAM, and moving towards RED (all flavors...). What are everyone's opinions, as to which hardware might suit me better?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: FCP with AJA Kona 3 or Matrox MX02
on Apr 1, 2010 at 1:20:54 pm

[Andrew Karczewski] "moving towards RED (all flavors...)."

if thats your plan it has to be the Kona 3

the other 2 cards do not support frame sizes beyond 1920x1080, of those 3 cards only the K3 card supports all available frame sizes that are supported by FCP.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP with AJA Kona 3 or Matrox MX02
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:25:38 pm

And the MXO2 line has calibration tools via HDMI to HDTVs, NOT computer displays. The original MXO worked with computer displays.

I'm with Gary, if you intend to work with Red at 2K or 4K, you need the Kona 3. If you won't go over 1080, then all are viable.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]