FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime playback stutter

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Catherine Farrell
Quicktime playback stutter
on Mar 31, 2010 at 6:00:54 pm

So I'm having a playback issue with Quicktime (7 and X) and my ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920x1080 23.98 files. When I open the files in QT7, they playback with random, non-consistent stutter - sometimes just once per clip, sometimes a couple times, sometimes no stutter at all. Not in the same place, and again, not in any consistent way. Opening them with QTX is virtually worthless, as they play so stuttery it looks like slo-mo.

Now within FCP 6.0.6, the problem is greatly reduced, and most clips will play fine. Occasionally though, if I play a clip in the canvas, it will stutter once or twice, though I have not had any problem with the stutter when I play out clips in a sequence.

My RAID setup has two computers - one purely a client and the other acting as the backup MDC. On the MDC computer, the problem is similar, but worse - the playback in QT7 is more stuttery, and playing clips in the canvas window of FCP is consistently bad.

When I play the files on my laptop, it's fine, no stutter, so I don't believe the problem is with the files themselves.

I'm just upgraded my old XSAN to V-Trak Promise RAID with XServe and QLogic, and both my computers are 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeons with 9GB 667 MHz DDR2 FBDIMM. I've used both the computers to cut ProRes before and had no issue, so I have to believe it's either the Snow Leopard upgrade or the new RAID setup. The only difference in workflow is that my second computer is also an MDC, which wasn't the case before.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with Promise RAIDS, ProRes playback problems in QT on Snow Leopard or using their second computer as an MDC with ill effects?

I'm at a loss...

Thanks,
Catherine

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]